Contribute
Register

128GB RAM and 16 cores / 32 threads X9DAI

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, I tried Tutor's various suggestions from earlier in the thread - not any different. The 64-bit GB's now are:

Mac: 26511
Linux: 29876

lightninhopkins cranked out over 40k in Windows. He's got the 2.9 GHz and I'm on the 2.6 (3.8 and 3.3 GHz boosted), so I should be ~10-15% down, but this would put me well north of 30k. So far, quite there.

Tutor was kind enough to give some board-specific suggestions earlier in this thread already:
viewtopic.php?p=349331#p349331

I've not got an SR-2 board -- just this one at the moment. I'll see what SuperMicro says about any BIOS updates. I'm guessing lightninhopkins' Windows result is due in part to him being on Windows.

Holy sh!t i just came twice looking at this setup.

Thanks for all the awesome info. I have been debating just that, building a previous gen workstation on the SR-2. However the thought of buying and spending so much on tech from 2010 when the newest tech has arrived is painful.

I just got back from NAB 2012 (National Association of Broadcasting) and was very impressed with the workstation ProMax has built. Whisper quiet, tons of features, small, and should be able to barely fit the 3 GTX 580s I plan to drop in there with a Blackmagic 3D extreme card. And the built in RAID 5 6 drive raid was flying at 1,400MBs read! All in a very slim custom 4U case that would be hard to match if I built one.

So all in all Im torn. I think I may wait until at least July and see if the rumored thunderbolt drops in PC land. ProMax mentioned they have a board they will be testing soon with thunderbolt. Soo I continue to wait. I will hit you up of I go this way.

ViperJPB said:
This is super encouraging to see! I work in Post Production...mainly Motion Graphics, 3D Modeling, & Color Grading. I was hoping to build a similar system on a SR-X board with dual E5-2687's this year. But I'm not fully ready to leave OS-X and go back to windows. Do keep us posted on your progress and if you can get the scores up and running in OS-X as in windows. Amazing build.

Hi Viper,

Looks like you're looking for an amazing Dual Processing POWERHOUSE. Well you still get that with an SR-2 setup, like this one AND use Mac OS X 10.7.3:

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=48807

Now my most recent GeekBench (GB) score is 34000+. Now it's not the 83,000+ one that this other person spent over $30,000 in parts for to not even be able to OC. In fact the score that I was able to achieve was done by Underclocking. You can read all the details on how to do it here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1333421

There Tutor shows SRMac how to do it from start to finish. Plus I'm now using a EVGA GTX 580 & 48 GB Corsair XMS3 2000MHz of RAM. Soon, I'll be upgrading from the RP-402x2 Koolance Dual Bay Res & PMP-400 pumps to the RP-452x2 Dual Bay Res & PMP-450 pumps. Not that I really need them (since I'm Underclocking now), but I would just like better water flow to pump through there as I'm using quite a bit of tubing. CPU0 is at 23C & CPU1 is at 28C.

Side note: My theory of tubing was correct as I separated the tubing to have 480 Rad dedicated to CPU0 & the 360 Rad dedicated to CPU1. I've seen other SR-2 water cooled PC builds that directly link their tubing from CPU0 to CPU1 to make it look cleaner, but usually it increases the temps by 5C for the second CPU (making it a full 10C hotter for the other CPU), because it's receiving the warmer water from the initial CPU. But again, that's a side note.

If you want to PM me you can and we can communicate on the side. Hope this helps...

PS - You don't have to go the route that I did, in fact you can just get a Lian-Li PC-90 case, buy a used SR-2 Mobo ($450), Used X5680s (which by the way, I'm selling a pair right now for $2,000), Get 2 Corsair H80's (and it keeps the CPU's water cooling completely separate), 48GB (or 96GB if you want more RAM) and keep your costs $1,500 to $2,000 less than what you would get for the SR-X and those E5-2687's. And from what I'm hearing (and I could be incorrect) that you can't OC on that Mobo (if that what you're desire is). So you'll STILL have a POWERHOUSE of a machine that will last you a few years before you would want to upgrade to something faster. Again, PM me if you're interested in the X5680's and any other input that I can give you as I too use this for Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, Motion, etc.. Later... :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an awesome post. As a n00b, if I followed all the details, you think it would be quite simple to get this thing going if I filled in use one 8 core e5-2690?

Thanks for all the fantastic info already!

Chris

Mother of God...... save this little "freak" ajajaja.

Jokes off, are you mad? :p

Nice monster

Cool to see this thread still kickin'

I am curious to know if anyone is an apple developer around here, to see if they can test 10.8. I think that might be the key to seeing this board's potential and telling us about Apple's future MacPro line.

I'm tempted to sign up as an Apple dev, but would rather spend the $99 on the iOS dev section.

can i build aja system hackintosh without nvidia quadro 1800.????

I'm a registered Dev and have 10.8 - this week is crazy and no chance to play, but next week I can see how it goes. We're you ever able to run GB on Linux or did you ever get a decent OSX score?

My Quadro 2000 is going but OpenGL is very slow (3.8 FPS in Cinebench) and I still need to work out a better Ethernet solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back