Contribute
Register

128GB RAM and 16 cores / 32 threads X9DAI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tutor said:
lightninhopkins, congratulations! I'll play tag [ http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/top ] with you and computingmilestones later when my EVGA SRX arrives.

haha, awesome. I am not even in your league. I just slap together some parts and click mouse buttons to run apps :)

I asked my vendor about the SR-X too. I'll find out how quickly I'll get those on Monday.

I should have gone for the 150W CPU's, instead of the 2690 :(

lightninhopkins said:
Thanks all.

Yes, there are a few video apps that use the memory really quickly.

Well, I tried setting it to Macpro 3,3 and 5,1 and other settings, but can't get more than 13,000 on geekbench when the win7 version gets 40,000.

Wonder what other tweaks there are to try.

That's insanely low! Are you running the 64-bit version of Geekbench?

I've only got an i7 2600k at 4.0ghz with 16gb of ram and I'm getting over 16,000.

It's gotta have something to do with not being natively supported yet...

I'm running 64bit tests for sure. Even had a really proficient programmer make new kernels, and change tons of settings, but 13K was the max no matter what.

The other test which I haven't done yet is geekbench for linux. It's possible the bios is only programmed/tweaked for windows right now. Since both macos and redhat are linux based, if they BOTH get low scores, I'll assume it's the bios. If linux ends up with the same as windows 40K score, I'll assume that Lion isn't ready for this chipset yet. Although it could be a bunch of other reasons, which I'm not smart enough to know of.

Another good result with Cinebench CPU test, 24.5 points in win7, and 8 points in the mac version (same similar results, so we know it's not the geekbench app.

cbs1.jpg

lightninhopkins said:
I'm running 64bit tests for sure. Even had a really proficient programmer make new kernels, and change tons of settings, but 13K was the max no matter what.

Low OSX scores dogged me until I did all of the following (I know others may have told you differently, but who are you going to trust?):
0) Get PlistEditPro demo to edit files ending in ".plist" as set forth in nos. 3 and 5, below - download PlistEditPro from http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/plisteditpro/ .
1) Make sure that in bios ACPI and HPET are Enabled and choose s3 for ACPI config. HPET is High Precision Event Timer. Also ensure that Turboboost, EIST (speedstep) and hyperthreading , as well as C (including C1E if that is available) and P and T states are all Enabled, to extent that they are exposed for setting in bios - Reboot and run Geeekbench 2 and Cinebench 11.5; if this cures the problem, go to step 7; if not, do the remainder of the steps;
2) Make sure that, in your Extra folder, the correct DSDT.aml file is installed.
3) Make the appropriate changes to info.plist found in FakeSMC.kext as set forth in post #'s 53-57, here; http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread. ... 421&page=3 ; and install it in your Extra/Extensions and System/Library/Extensions (S/L/E) folders; then bless each folder's content as set forth in post#54 there;
4) Delete NullCPUPower Management.kext if you have it installed;
5) Make sure that org.chameleon.Boot.plist (Lion) or smbios.plist (SL) (in your Extra folder) does not have any references to either 3,1 or 4,1 by changing them to 5,1 .
6) Lastly, rebuild kext/boot cache with your chameleon installer, making sure that it does not at all install another unmodified version of the FakeSMC.kext file or another copy of the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext file. Rebuilding kext/boot cache will enable that modified FakeSMC.kext files to work correctly.
7) Give us an update.

lightninhopkins said:
Another good result with Cinebench CPU test, 24.5 points in win7, and 8 points in the mac version (same similar results, so we know it's not the geekbench app.

Your getting very close to my OSX 24.7 CB 11.5 score.

P.S. If you want any more help tweaking your system's bios, please PM me or post clear pics of each bios screen with user adjustable parameters other than just the date and time.

justruss said:
....Have you tried overclocking this? Might be difficult with all that RAM, but I bet those chips run at 4 Ghz pretty easily, probably even 10% higher. That should get your GeekBench scores up to 60K, I'd think. ... .

Justruss, I don't believe that the motherboard he's using allows for any overclocking. However, even if it did, the current E5s are locked down in every way possible, unlike the Nehalems and Westmeres. The best that you can do, even if the motherboard supports overclocking, is to push the BCLK 5-8%. The limitation is based on Intel's putting under CPU control DMI; so a larger BCLK push will adversely affect SATA, USB and the PCIe slots, none of which will allow the system to boot if stressed more than 5-8%. Maybe in the future Intel will release unlocked E5s or Ivy Bridges Xeons, but I don't hold out much hope. The market that they're designed for doesn't usually tweak systems.

@Tutor - thanks for all the information and directions. I can try this stuff later on today or tomorrow. I'll see how much of it I'm able to accomplish.

And regarding the BIOS, there are limited options for anything CPU related. Even speedstep isn't listed in there. I'll do what I can do.

lightninhopkins said:
@Tutor - thanks for all the information and directions. I can try this stuff later on today or tomorrow. I'll see how much of it I'm able to accomplish.

And regarding the BIOS, there are limited options for anything CPU related. Even speedstep isn't listed in there. I'll do what I can do.

Speedstep is aka EIST. Manual page 4-8 says its under Power Technology under CPU Power Management Configuration under CPU Configuration (Make sure hype-threading is Enabled) under the Advanced Menu. So is Turbo mode (Enable it), P (HW_All) and C-states (Enable for C3, C6 and C7 and set Package C State Limit to Auto. Also while there, set Energy Performance to Performance). Under QPI Configuration set QPI Link Frequency Select to 8.0 GT/s. Under ACPI Settings Menu under the Advanced Menu is ACPI Sleep State - set to s3, NUMA - disable it, and HPET - enable it (Manual page 4-23).

As you get things sorted out, please post the configuration details. I've got a very similar system coming in this week that was slated to be a Linux box. If I can have it dual-boot and tie in with our cluster of Mac Pros, I'd be a happy camper. Same X9DAI MB, 2670 CPUs, 64G to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back