Motherboard
Asus P9X79pro
CPU
i7-3820
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
I am running Big Sur 11.7.10 with a Radeon RX570 and when using Photoshop Camera Raw Mask and try to adjust “detail” slider the system kind of crashes by going BLACK SCREEN and the GPU fans full speed. I had to force shutdown by pressing the power button. How can I solve this?

Attachments

• Captura de Pantalla 2024-04-19 a la(s) 1.55.44 p. m..png
    Captura de Pantalla 2024-04-19 a la(s) 1.55.44 p. m..png
    322.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Captura de Pantalla 2024-04-19 a la(s) 2.12.33 p. m..png
    Captura de Pantalla 2024-04-19 a la(s) 2.12.33 p. m..png
    125.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Captura de Pantalla 2024-04-19 a la(s) 2.13.55 p. m..png
    Captura de Pantalla 2024-04-19 a la(s) 2.13.55 p. m..png
    96.6 KB · Views: 3
Some questions:
  1. What temps are you seeing on the RX570 when you undertake this PhotoShop process?
  2. Was the RX570 bought new or secondhand?
  3. given its age, have you thought about renewing/replacing the thermal paste and pads on the RX570?
  4. Are you using a DP or HDMI cable to connect the dGPU to your display?
  5. Are you using any display adapters, i.e. HDMI to DVI, DP to HDMI etc?
  6. What resolution is your display providing?
Assumptions:
This is happening on your Asus P9X79 Pro system.
You are using a legit copy of Photoshop.

Some questions:
  1. What temps are you seeing on the RX570 when you undertake this PhotoShop process?
  2. Was the RX570 bought new or secondhand?
  3. given its age, have you thought about renewing/replacing the thermal paste and pads on the RX570?
  4. Are you using a DP or HDMI cable to connect the dGPU to your display?
  5. Are you using any display adapters, i.e. HDMI to DVI, DP to HDMI etc?
  6. What resolution is your display providing?
Assumptions:
This is happening on your Asus P9X79 Pro system. Yes
You are using a legit copy of Photoshop. NOPE
Thanks for your reply. Check some of my answers ☝️☝️
I just did again the masking in Camera Raw to check temps 54°C — this time I have not touched the "detail/sharpening" slider, otherwise will go black screen.
Bought brand new GPU 2/3 years ago
I recently cleaned and put new thermal paste, not the pads.
Using dual displays both in DP, the main screen through miniDP input.
No adapters
The main screen is a 4K set at 25xx X 14xx, the secondary screen is a cheap Lenovo @ 1920 x 1080

Thanks

Attachments

• Temperaturas-GPU.png
    Temperaturas-GPU.png
    196.9 KB · Views: 1
Have you checked the Photoshop forums to see if this is an Intel Mac Photoshop issue, rather than a Hackintosh RX570 issue?

Did the RX570's fans kick in at 54° or did they stay silent?

Have you checked the Photoshop forums to see if this is an Intel Mac Photoshop issue, rather than a Hackintosh RX570 issue?

Did the RX570's fans kick in at 54° or did they stay silent?
I have not checked yet the Photoshop forums, I will.
At 54° Celsius they stay silent.
I tried the same feature on a ThinkPad P51 laptop (the sharpening slider on the Camera Raw masking) and no problem. (GPU 1200 Quadro)
I did another test on a second Hackintosh running Ventura (MOBO Gygabyte Aorus Z390 + RX580) no issues.
Thank you

Last edited:
Then that points more towards and issue with your RX570 than a Hackintosh or Photoshop issue.

Can you switch the RX580 to the Asus Hack and see if the same issue arises when you use the detail/sharpening slider in Photoshop.

Try the same with the RX570 in your Coffee Lake Hack. That should tell you if the RX570 is the problem or not.

As the two systems use the same series GPU, you won't need to change any settings in either Hack. They should both just work.

Then that points more towards and issue with your RX570 than a Hackintosh or Photoshop issue.

Can you switch the RX580 to the Asus Hack and see if the same issue arises when you use the detail/sharpening slider in Photoshop.

Try the same with the RX570 in your Coffee Lake Hack. That should tell you if the RX570 is the problem or not.

As the two systems use the same series GPU, you won't need to change any settings in either Hack. They should both just work.
I just learnt that Adobe Camera Raw 16 requires Monterey or later, and I rolled back to Big Sur because there was an issue with the Fenvi card for BlueTooth connection to take advantage of AirDrop.
I may have to give up the BlueTooth, unless it was already resolved by the latest version of Monterey.

I just learnt that Adobe Camera Raw 16 requires Monterey or later, and I rolled back to Big Sur because there was an issue with the Fenvi card for BlueTooth connection to take advantage of AirDrop.
I may have to give up the BlueTooth, unless it was already resolved by the latest version of Monterey.
I have upgraded from BS to Monterey, and found that CPU temps are higher and the issue of BlackScreen high speed fans continues.

Have switched the Asus Mobo with the RX-580 and the BlackScreen and GPU high speed fan continues. Had to force shutdown.
There is another function on Camera Raw 16 not working on the Asus: Can not detect people faces for masking.
GPU temp with RX-580 higher: 61ºC without running Photoshop

Attachments

• RX-570-Monterey-Temperaturas.png
    RX-570-Monterey-Temperaturas.png
    196.1 KB · Views: 3
  • RX580-Temperaturas.png
    RX580-Temperaturas.png
    158.9 KB · Views: 3
Those weren't the results I was expecting to see when you switched GPU's. I am not sure what to make of them if I am honest.

Your bluetooth issues are not uncommon in Monterey, as Apple changed some of the Bluetooth settings. Their latest changes are worse in Sonoma.
  1. The first thing to check with regards Bluetooth is that the Internal USB cable is connected to a USB 2.0 motherboard header.
  2. Then that the port used by the Bluetooth module is active in your USBPorts.kext.
  3. Finally the port is set with 'Internal' (255) connector type.
A Fenvi card uses a native Apple/Broadcom Wifi/BT card, so shouldn't need any additional kexts. At the most you might need to add AirportBrcmFixup.kext for the WiFi, you shouldn't need any additional BT kexts. I never did with any of my Broadcom BCM4360xxx cards.

Back