Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

The enclosures based on asm2464pd seem to require nvm36 or newer.
So, unbelievable. I stumbled on to making it work with NVM31. I've had the USB4 Tunneling option in the BIOS off. After more recent experiments with the Thunderbolt SDDT, I enabled it. Now the drive is mounting. Only getting 10Gb speed, which I believe is what I'm getting on a real Mac Pro, but at least it's read/write enabled.

With the latest ASUS developments making it easier to downgrade with a separate NVM Downgrade tool, I may just update to the latest BIOS to see if it improves speed connectivity.

So, unbelievable. I stumbled on to making it work with NVM31. I've had the USB4 Tunneling option in the BIOS off. After more recent experiments with the Thunderbolt SDDT, I enabled it. Now the drive is mounting. Only getting 10Gb speed, which I believe is what I'm getting on a real Mac Pro, but at least it's read/write enabled.

With the latest ASUS developments making it easier to downgrade with a separate NVM Downgrade tool, I may just update to the latest BIOS to see if it improves speed connectivity.
If it’s working in 10 Gbps mode then that is usb3 speeds, no?

I should’ve been more precise… With nvm36 or newer it operates in usb4/pcie mode… 40 Gbps.

But for some reason, I don’t know the reason, with nvm36, the asm2464pd enclosures I’ve tested work in pcie mode, read/write data just fine, but the enclosures aren’t detected in Intel Thunderbolt control center…or on the Linux command line.

But on nvm42 with the new z790 boards like the z790 formula, the enclosures are detected in Thunderbolt control center. Weird.

But what’s even weirder is that with nvm36 and the latest ssdt that enables thunderbolt bus, the enclosures and their nvm versions are detected by macOS just fine. Go figure.

Last edited:
Back