Intel® HD3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello,

well it's been quite a piece of work but i got the most important things working on my new Vostro. i'm quite aware that it has the nvidia Optimus technology integrated and i will most likely never be able to make use of the nvidia gpu itself, but it does not really matter since hardware accelaration is fully working on the Intel HD Graphics 3000.
i was successful in getting full cpu speed using SpeedStepper and i am scoring ~9200, which should be the best result possible.
i am not generating P-States themselves and i assume that they're picked up from the native SSDTs themselves. the last thing that is bothering me is the high power consumption while running osx. it is running with a full charge about 2 hours on osx. on the other hand it runs about 3 to 4 hours on windows. i tried a lot that i found while researching this matter but the SSDTs seem to differ rather much (just as the DSDTs do from the earlier ones in the family), so they aren't really applicable. i guess that the high consumption is related to problems regarding the C-States (i suppose if the nvidia gpu isn't correctly handled with it could waste a bit of power, too..).

Specs:

Chipset: Intel Mobile HM67 Express
CPU: Intel Core i7 2670QM 4x2,2 GHz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 / NVIDIA Geforce GT 525M (Optimus, thus not usable)
RAM: 6 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1337 MHz

Setup:

- OSX 10.7.1
- Custom DSDT
- Chimera 1.7
- Generating C-States
- Not generating P-States
- Patched AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement
- VoodooBattery, VoodooPS2Controller, VoodooSDHC, FakeSMC with MacBookPro 8,2 definition

if anyone could give me a hint on how to proceed on this matter it would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• DSDT.dsl
    346.7 KB · Views: 341
  • vostro_dsdt_3.2b.aml
    40 KB · Views: 305
is there really no one who can help me with this?

Not much to add, but I have almost the same model too, except it has 8Gb of RAM.
Searching the way to tune a notebook, found posts, where people tried (with success) to turn off discrete nVidia graphics, maybe it will be the best solution for us?
I use 10.7.2 with custom DSDT(user from olarila.com shared with me), Geekbench score is only 7900. Graphics freezes (known bug with HD3000, but 100% solution wasn't found), Wi-Fi only in g-mode.
Can you share your kexts?
Thank you!

I think you should try patching the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement with speedstepper. Like i said in my configuration the P-States are picked up OOB and it seems it's the highest perfomance you can get (compared to the GB-Score of a MacBookPro 8,2). You could try checking with MSRDumper.kext whether you get a P-State 28 or something.

And the graphics bug is present on mine, too. But it does not occur all the time, like in 10.7.2. The situations are rare and therefore avoidable (like not using magnification of the dock and switching into mission control when in full-screen mode). I'm hoping for 10.7.3 to include a fixed version of AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext.

Can you be more specific about which WiFi you have?

I will try to apply some kind of fix to deactivate the NVIDIA-GPU via DSDT when i got the time.

I'll post the kexts tonight.

It's Atheros 9285 (branded as Dell), just can't transmit anything, although it is able to see N network and connect to it, switching router to G-only mode helps, but it is not acceptable. Using ethernet now.

This grapichs freezing is not as rare, as I want :( Chrome was fine a couple of weeks ago, but it freezes right from the start now, so switched to Firefox... making selection in Photoshop in zoomed mode... big drop-down menus in Xcode - just stopped to use them... Interesting thing - sometimes I'm able to 'wake-up' frozen machine with Teamviewer session, not every time, but in 2/3 of cases I think.

ahh.. ****. my safari just crashed on me while uploading the kexts :banghead:

so 10.7.3 seems to be out, i will run a backup and try if it finally fixes the graphics issues :beachball: we're experiencing.

yeah mines a intel centrino, so there's no chance at all getting it to work. i'm just bluetooth tethering with my rooted android, since bluetooth is working just fine.

By the way, did you get your trackpad working with multitouch? i read somewhere that this pad is not capable of multitouch anyway and that kind of makes sense since the windows implementation of "multitouch" are very crude and annoying.

and here are the kexts. could be i'm forgetting some. everything else is from multi beast

/edit

so i tried 10.7.3 and no luck. the issue remains. i'm restoring atm back to 10.7.1.

Attachments

• AppleHDA.kext.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 183
  • VoodooBattery.kext.zip
    40.7 KB · Views: 167
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip
    137 KB · Views: 168
  • VoodooSDHC.kext.zip
    20.5 KB · Views: 165
soooo.. i reverted back to 10.7.1. it seems to me that it's rather the implementation of mission control, which triggers the bug more often in 10.7.2+ and not the kexts themselves. i researched a lot regarding these graphic hangs, but nothing worked so far. so i will stay on 10.7.1 since it's not getting triggered as much. it's weird that so many are experiencing this issue, but no solution has been found so far.

Could you explain how to install your attached AppleHDA.kext? I guess it takes a dsdt-patch to make it work. I'm actually using a VoodooHDA version for the ALC269 codec. It works more or less but I think it's one of the reasons why the systems sometimes or pretty often kernel panics on boot with audio related errors in the kernel log.
Thanks in advance.

yeah there really is nothing more to it.
remove all the enabler and voodoo stuff, i guess. then just replace the original in /s/l/e.

and yeah a DSDT patch is needed. but with the right DSDT you can get a lot to work without patching kexts, so i would highly recommend making one.

That sounds easy. I already use a dsdt, made by the great maldon (for the Vostro 3550 - same board, smaller display, different BIOS that doesn't act as a Windows dongle. I think the 3750 needs a normal, not crippled BIOS for OSx86. Linux and OSx86 users seem to be better off with the 3550. The Dell service told me I could try a 3550 BIOS on the 3750. I suppose they checked whether both machines are based on the same board. But I couldn't install a 3550 BIOS.... sorry for being off topic. Maybe any BIOS wizard reads this and takes care of the crippled Dell BIOS.. it doesn't need a hack, I think it is hacked and needs normal functionality.)
I just thought your AppleHDA.kext wouldn't work without an additional dsdt patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back