Register

Disable NVMe/SSD for Windows 10

Motherboard
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
CPU
Ryzen 9 5900X
Graphics
RTX 3090
I am trying to disable NVMe drive using SSDT patching so that it doesn't show up in Windows 10. My motherboard doesn't have any option to disable NVMe in the BIOS, and I want to have completely isolated bootloaders for dual boot.

I have tried the following SSDT :-

Code:
DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "HACK", "NVME", 0x00000000)
{
    External (_SB_.PCI0.GPP0.D059, DeviceObj)

Scope (\_SB.PCI0.GPP0.D059)
    {
        Name (_STA, Zero)
    }
}

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

After I patch using the above SSDT, I don't see the D059 device; but Windows somehow adds a new one.

Capture.JPG

I understand this forum is for Hackintosh; but I couldn't find anything anywhere about Windows ACPI patching. So any help is appreciated.

I am trying to disable NVME drive using SSDT patching so that it doesn't show up in windows 10, my motherboard doesn't have any option to disable NVME in bios and I want to have completely isolated bootloaders for dual boot.

I have tried the following SSDT :-

Code:
DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "HACK", "NVME", 0x00000000)
{
    External (_SB_.PCI0.GPP0.D059, DeviceObj)

Scope (\_SB.PCI0.GPP0.D059)
    {
        Name (_STA, Zero)
    }
}

View attachment 581542View attachment 581543

After I patch using the above SSDT I don't see the D059 device but windows somehow adds a new one

View attachment 581544

I understand this forum is for Hackintosh but I couldn't find anything anywhere about windows ACPI patching so any help is appreciated.

Hi there.

That's a clever idea as OpenCore bootloader should patch the DSDT on the fly during boot.

However, the trouble might be that Windows spots the new hardware, not in the BIOS now, and adds it's own drivers to attach it. Much like it does if you add any hardware that didn't come with the computer.

Remember too that m.2 devices are on the CPU / PCIe bus directly which is why the BIOS does not allow disabling them.

:)

Hi there.

That's a clever idea as OpenCore bootloader should patch the DSDT on the fly during boot.

However, the trouble might be that Windows spots the new hardware, not in the BIOS now, and adds it's own drivers to attach it. Much like it does if you add any hardware that didn't come with the computer.

Remember too that m.2 devices are on the CPU / PCIe bus directly which is why the BIOS does not allow disabling them.

Yeah that's the thing windows just detect the device own it's own and I don't think patching ACPI is enough to disable the device :banghead:

Yeah that's the thing windows just detect the device own it's own and I don't think patching ACPI is enough to disable the device :banghead:

Well the easiest option is to keep Windows and macOS on separate SSDs and use the BIOS boot-drive picker to choose which OS to boot into.

Have you read @Going Bald 's excellent guides to multi-booting here?

Well the easiest option is to keep Windows and macOS on separate SSDs and use the BIOS boot-drive picker to choose which OS to boot into.

Have you read @Going Bald 's excellent guides to multi-booting here?

Well I am talking about installing two windows 10 on different disks and I want to isolate them so that each windows installation only see the disk they are installed on. So the guide is not helpful in my case that's why I was trying to disable the disks using ACPI patching

Well I am talking about installing two windows 10 on different disks and I want to isolate them so that each windows installation only see the disk they are installed on. So the guide is not helpful in my case that's why I was trying to disable the disks using ACPI patching

Okay, you would need to install the OSs onto separate 2.5" SATA SSDs instead. That way you can disable one or the other in BIOS when necessary.

But if you are not going to install macOS then maybe we aren't the experts you need?

Back