Contribute
Register

Dual-boot or Parallels?

I'm still thinking about a 'dual boot' machine with two separate SSD drives (I have my reasons, and a lot of those reasons are problems I'm having with Parallels.). However, I have found that Dell computers (such as the one I have) will only boot from the one drive connected to the blue SATA cable and SATA socket 0. Has anyone found a way around that using Clover?

I use one of these, primarily the 2.5" slot. I dual boot Windows 10 and macOS on the same Dell desktop PC that I've moved into a new case. works great. Just hook up the Sata cable to Sata0 and give it some power too.

Have it installed in a mATX case from Fractal Design that still has 5.5" bays in front.

Here's how it looks installed in the top bay. I have the two USB 3 ports working as well. They are useful.

IMG_20240205_214504.jpg

Last edited:
So that's both Windows and OSX partitions on the same drive? I was wondering if there was a way to use two separate drives and override Dell's tendency to boot only on that one port.

(My machine, a Dell Optiplex 7060, has two built-in 2.5" slots)

So that's both Windows and OSX partitions on the same drive?
No, that's what I'm trying to avoid. Windows messing with my macOS install. I just swap one 2.5" SSD for the other when the machine is shut down. Only takes a few seconds to do that.

I use one of these, primarily the 2.5" slot. I dual boot Windows 10 and macOS on the same Dell desktop PC that I've moved into a new case. works great. Just hook up the Sata cable to Sata0 and give it some power too.

Amazon says it's 'Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.' I'll try to find it on NewEgg or eBay.

edit: I think I found it.

I do have another concern: I have the Dell Optiplex 7060 running Windows 10 perfectly, and I'm ready to pop out the Windows HDD and use the swapping bay as recommended above.

The hardware configuration doesn't seem to be a problem, but the installation guide for High Sierra recommends changing BIOS configurations. Wouldn't that be problematic for this drive-swapping idea? Windows is used to one BIOS configuration and a Hackintosh would require another BIOS configuration.

Wouldn't that be problematic for this drive-swapping idea? Windows is used to one BIOS configuration and a Hackintosh would require another BIOS configuration.
I do that on my Optiplex 9020 system and it's never caused any problems. I've even modded the BIOS signifcantly and it's still working well.

Back