Contribute
Register

EFI Root or Partition (Legacy and/or UEFI)?

Motherboard
Gigabyte P67A-UD3P-B3
CPU
i72600K
Graphics
GTX770
Hi all, can someone help me understand the basics of EFi and Legacy or UEFI?

I've got a Legacy Mobo (ga-p67a-ud3p b3) and on my ML 10.8.5 drive the EFI is installed in the ROOT - there is no separate HD EFI partition.

I've been experimenting with more recent OSX installations (High Sierra and Mojave) and even when using a 'LEGACY' clover installer it creates a HD partition rather than installing the EFI on the root of the OSX drive.

So can someone explain:

1) Is 'Legacy' Bios indicative of an EFI folder in the ROOT of the OSX drive?
2) Should a Legacy clover installer (BY DEFAULT) install the EFI in the ROOT of the OSX drive? (how does the installer decide whether to install at root or create an EFI 200mb partition?)
3) Is there any benefit to having an EFI partition rather than an EFI folder on the osx Root in a legacy installation?

My Hackintosh boots way faster with the EFI on the OSX drive root, rather than having an EFI partition.

Thanks for any insight that anyone can offer into these basics of CLover and EFI!

Last edited:
Good afternoon I have the same motherboard, I'm trying to install MOJAVE with the OpenCore bootloader using recovery via the Internet, after downloading the installer to the SSD, I get an error:
Enable Drive PHY PM failed
The bootloader sees the disk, two partitions on it EFI and Instal Mojave
When I try to force boot it reboots.
Maybe some kind of kext is needed to load with AFPS?

Back