Contribute
Register

Finished my second G4 Cube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good work on the build, the results are fantastic, the cinema display certainly adds to the authenticity.

Mactester57, I have to ask, when are you going to share more information?

Kiwi,

I will start a new thread soon.

MacTester

Well done! When will you start your third Cube project? ;)

I'm planning a new project at the moment. Not a G5 and not a Cube...

MacTester

I can't believe I did this, but I bought my third Cube off Craigslist today. Couldn't pass it up. Beautiful condition at least 9/10, 17" monitor, cube speakers, 2 pro mice (one black and one white), Cube Keyboard and retail boxed OSX 10.4 Tiger with all documentation.

All this for 200 dollars? SOLD!

Did a re-partition and fresh install of Tiger, updated it to 10.4.11 through Software Update. It is very interesting to run the original Cube beside the modded 10.8.3 one. What a difference! The modded one is light years ahead of the old one and far quieter, the HDD in the original is an old 20 gig Maxtor, very noisy. Will run the two as is for now, but this purchase today is going to make a fine build some day, there isn't a mark on it.

screenshot09d.jpg

Erstehernd

LOL, I knew you will buy another one!

I was running mine with Tiger 10.4.11 for a while. It was able to drive my Samsung 24" monitor with 1920x1200 pixels but very very slowly. 1024x768 (see Photo) was better. Youtube? Forget it! Even scrolling in normal websites was very notchy... I think that an iPhone has much more processing power.

G4%20Cube%20Tiger%2010.4.11.jpg

Nice, but its time is over

MacTester

I think it was YouTube that was most surprising. Even 360p is totally unwatchable. On the DQ77KB, fullscreen 1080p runs like watching television. It was a real wake up call to how fast technology has paced itself, that's for sure.

I'm unsure of what the next build will entail. I haven't seen a solution better than the Intel low profile boards, for reasons that we are well aware. The top mounted USB slots are a key feature that I will not go without. I thank you once again for the idea. The external PSU, msata support, and HD4000 support all add up to a winner. Unless something else becomes available before this build begins, I'll be using it again.

When was intel discontinuing motherboard production? Don't want to get left out in the cold either!

Cheers!

(I promise this is my last Cube)

Ersterhernd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back