Contribute
Register

GTX 580. Help. (done everything I could)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Impact
CPU
i5-6600K
Graphics
GTX780Ti
I'll be using 3-way SLI GTX 580 on my hackintosh (mainly for gaming/gamedev in Windows, not really gonna be needing all that power in OS X), but I want to know how I might be able to get a GTX 580 working.

According to this:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8157&start=0
thread, GTX 580s are supported, but TonyMac's nVidia drivers are only for SNLeopard .6.6, not .6.8 .... does this mean I'll have to downgrade?

Tonymac says he's retired the drivers because nVidia updated theirs for mac, but there are NO drivers available from nVidia, for the GTX 580.

Help is appreciated!

Re: GTX 580. Help.

After reading a little bit, here's what I understand:

-The GTX 580 works in safe mode for most people it seems
before installing drivers it works normally?

-something known as a "fermi" driver (sorry, I'm a noob with these things) can be used to make the GTX 580 usable

-jesus ****ing christ about half of the stuff I'm reading makes no ****ing sense... I've done everything I could to find out, seriously need some help. And it's either the GTX 580s that I'm using or nothing.

buzzworm said:
Not for me. I followed the instructions on a clean install to a bare drive.

Here's what I did to install...

1. Set Bios to AHCI, etc.
2. type -x to boot in safe mode off of iBoot-GE disc because of GTX 580 would kernel panic the system.
3. Installed clean OS X 10.6.3
4. Rebooted to my Hackintosh HD.
5. Immediately updated to 10.6.5
6. Placed custom DSDT file on desktop (also renamed it to DSDT.aml)
7. Installed MultiBeast and selected the following
- UserDSDT
- System Utilities
- Advanced Options -> Kexts -> Audio -> LegacyHDA -> ALC889
- Advanced Options -> Kexts -> Disk -> JMicron36x (aka GSATA) ->
NO GRAPHIC ENABLERS SINCE USING GTX 580 - NVENABLER SEEMS TO CRASH SYSTEM AT BOOT
- Chameleon 2.0 RC5 PRE 643
- Advanced Options -> com.apple.boot.plist -> 32-bit GraphicsEnabler=YES
NOT SURE about the graphicsenabler, but after reading all over I think I chose the correct option.
- Advanced Options -> smbios.plist -> Mac Pro -> Core i7

8. Installed Tonymacx86 Nvidia update
9. Reboot - amazingly it was 1920x1080. I had all resolution options. Quartz wasn't accelerated... still don't know why exactly. I haven't researched that part of these cards yet. I just started doing this, this past weekend.

System Profiler reports it as a GTX 580! That was good to see. :)

10. Install Ethernet driver (Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx Driver)
11. Fixed permissions with Apple disk utility. (not sure if this was necessary. Should I have used the Multibeast permissions fixer instead? Is it "safe" to use apple's disk utility?)

12. Machine rebooted to startup apple, screen went black with white distortion covering the top 1/3 of the screen. Only way to get back in now is SAFE BOOT.

13. Tried -v booting. Instead of white distortion pattern the monitor (23" Apple Display) turned off.

So I'm waiting on newer Chameleon/Multibeast updates hoping it will fix.

Was reading I need to add PCIRootUID=1 to the plist file. But I also read I DON'T need to because DSDT for my mother board should handle this already. Not sure about this...

Did I miss anything in my install?

rabbit74 said:
Are you using the Fermi bootloader for GTX-580? see attached.

If you are unfamiliar with the process, just unhide all files, delete old /boot file and drag in the new one.

As long as you have updated the new fermi package and are running 10.6.5 with this boot file it should work.

Ref:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=214219

When you get it working I would really like to see the Cinebench score. I'd like to buy one as well, but I want performance confirmation first.

Enjoy

rabbit.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8560&start=100

Thats no longer a rumor, gtx 5xx series are definitely supported in lion

It's very easy at Lion to get working one of your cards: the primary to which monitor is connected. It's even possible to inject all your cards, however where is no SLI under OSX, so it's only for connecting a lot of monitors or for having dedicated CUDA and OpenCL GPU compunting accelerators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back