Contribute
Register

Hardware RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.
vepus said:
Hi guys!

I've 3X WD caviar green 2tb each. so 6tb. I'm planning to do a hardware raid 5 for storage.
I'll go with a highpoint card and following this guides in your posts.
Any advice? Just follow this guides and everytning ok?

Did you get it to work?

Caution using RAID5 with "consumer" hard drives. If the consumer drives takes too long to wake up (google TLER), the controller may drop it from the array (even though the drive is fine)... then now your RAID is degraded.... so you try to rebuild the array again using the remaining drives... which is a lot of disk spinning/reading/writing... which may cause another drive to slow down/whatever.... and then BAM... your whole RAID array is hosed.

I've been bitten by RAID5, and it's not fun losing all that data. If you're doing RAID5, do it properly. i.e. real hardware controller RAID 5. And there is no cheap RAID5, i.e. real hardware RAID 5. They're upwards of $500+ for the controller.
The cheap ones are "fake raid", host-based controller just adds to the risks.

On the other hand, a RAIDZ2 is something you may want to take a look at... cheap consumer drives can be used safely with this RAID. (2) hard disks need to fail before your RAID goes kaput.

powerpcg5 said:
If the consumer drives takes too long to wake up (google TLER), the controller may drop it from the array

Yeah, there were 2 tools i had to run when i put some Western Digital Green HDs into my ReadyNAS (WDTLER and WDIDLE). Havn't had issues with the drives yet.

A few years ago I had bought a Perc 5i RAID Card which was a true HW RAID solution, had an Intel chip for processing and 512MB of ECC Ram for cache and a battery in case of failure. Are these HighPoint cards true HW RAID too?

(Still need to do more research on them.

Are these HighPoint cards true HW RAID too?
At that price? Nope. They're still fake hardware RAID.

Though I think they're supported OOB as their drivers are integrated in OSX
(since 2009 - HighPoint external host adapters integrated into OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard)

Usually, a fake hardware RAID cannot be used as a bootup disk, because the "fake raid" drivers are not yet loaded by the OS during bootup.

I've read comparison studies that says there is no speed improvement in so-called fake hardware RAID vs. software RAID. In some cases, the native software RAID of the operating system is even faster/safer. The pros of the fake hardware raid is the array is presented to the OS as a single disk...

I just fired up my DL360 G4 HP server yesterday and it comes with embedded Perc 6 HW raid controller. (x2 SAS 73GB drive + battery backed write cache). Now, those are true hardware RAID.

The_Moves said:
vepus said:
Hi guys!

I've 3X WD caviar green 2tb each. so 6tb. I'm planning to do a hardware raid 5 for storage.
I'll go with a highpoint card and following this guides in your posts.
Any advice? Just follow this guides and everytning ok?

Did you get it to work?

Yeah I finally managed to work. Raid 5 with 4*1tb samsung spinpoint 7200rpm and Rocket Raid card. Just follow the guides on this post
I love Raid 5. Hope not crashes for a long time. :headbang:

but take in consideration that: if you want speed; go software raid 0

good luck!!

hi all,

is there a chance to get the HW RAID controller of gigabyte mobo ga-h57-usb3 running with lion?? ...like to use my Raid1 with win7 on it...and some data partitions.
Or even to get read write access to the raid partitions?

THX :headbang:

Hi guys, this thread came up in a search so I may as well add to it.

I had an ATTO R348 raid 5 set up in my 2,1 mac which worked flawlessly from SL through to Lion 10.7.4

Now I plan on moving this over into a hackintosh build.

Has anyone ever got an ATTO card to work in a hackintosh??

I have been interested in RAID 5 and OSX for some time now and its good to see a guide such as this! Good Job!

Questions:
-To initialize the Hard Drives I assume you are using Disk Utility?
-To initialize/Setup which drives you want in RAID 5 I assume you are using RAID Utility?
-How would you recover your data using OSX if a drive was to fail?
-Are there different options for RAID 5 Add-On Card that OSX supports?

technoid said:
hi all,

is there a chance to get the HW RAID controller of gigabyte mobo ga-h57-usb3 running with lion?? ...like to use my Raid1 with win7 on it...and some data partitions.
Or even to get read write access to the raid partitions?

THX :headbang:
No, Apple doesn't support the SATA controller's RAID mode of Intel chipsets.

Mieze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back