Contribute
Register

How do i upgrade the recovery partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac Mini > Need year and model number > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i5 > Need full CPU name > See Forum Rules!
Graphics
HD 3000
I have a 2011 Mac Mini running Opencore legacy (Big Sur)

Ive created a time machine backup however when i try to test recovery it boots into a OSX Lion recovery screen and then cant find my newer OS backups to restore from (just sits on Searching for Time machine backups). I can only presume the Time machine is too new for the old OS to see?

How could i update the recovery partition to a newer one, even something more modern like sierra?

Bootloader is using the opencore, maybe it has another recovery method

I have a 2011 Mac Mini running Opencore legacy (Big Sur)

Ive created a time machine backup however when i try to test recovery it boots into a OSX Lion recovery screen and then cant find my newer OS backups to restore from (just sits on Searching for Time machine backups). I can only presume the Time machine is too new for the old OS to see?

How could i update the recovery partition to a newer one, even something more modern like sierra?

Bootloader is using the opencore, maybe it has another recovery method

Hi there.

When we used to get updates to macOS pre Big Sur they were visible in the Updates folder as another numbered folder etc. Within this was the main updater and the recovery updater as two separate *.pkg files.

Since Apple no longer delivers update "visibly" like that you could download the full 12GB installer using GibMacOS or similar and then open the file received using the "Pacifist" app (the demo version will work for this). See if among the contents you can see the Recovery updater pkg.

However OCLP might he required, I'm not sure.

Maybe there's a simpler way and someone will chime in.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back