Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770K @4.2-4.4GHz
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Unlike Apple, Intel is having a hard time keeping secrets with regards to many of its upcoming details and now the release dates of its upcoming Haswell based CPUs appears to have leaked. The first CPUs are set to arrive in March of next year, with the initial lot said to be quad-core only mobile parts with what is currently known as GT3 graphics.

haswell.png

In April more quad-core models are set to follow, this time around the first desktop models will arrive, but with slower GT2 graphics. The ULT or ultrabook CPUs are said to launch sometime in June to August, although we'd expect them to be at least announced around Computex time next year, much in the same way as Intel announced the Ivy Bridge ULT processors. The ULT models will just as the current models be dual-core processors, although Intel is apparently going to offer single and dual-channel memory controller equipped SKUs, all in the name of saving power.

We should also point out that some of the ULT models will be using a new System-on-a-Chip or SoC packaging where the CPU, graphics and chipset will be on a single package. In other words, there won't be any chipset on the Ultrabook motherboard, which is meant to be yet another move from Intel to save PCB space so we can get even thinner and lighter notebooks. The ULT models should come with various graphics options this time around which is a first for this market segment, as well as a TDP of 15W or less.

For those wanting Xeon branded CPU's, Intel will of course move its E3 Xeon family to the Haswell architecture as well and rumours has it that the new models will simply be known as the Xeon E3-1200 v3. On the higher-end of things, i.e. the LGA-2011 platform replacement, we should expect to see Xeon chips that utilizes DDR4 memory and this should be the first platform that takes advantage of this new memory technology, with desktops not expected to follow until at least 2014.

IntelSharkBay.jpg

Image courtesy of ChipHell

Keep in mind that Haswell will not be backwards compatible with Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge, as Intel is once more changing its CPU socket, this time we're losing a whole five pins and the new socket is known as LG-1150. Besides models with GT1, GT2 and GT3 graphics, we should see improvements to overall CPU performance at a much higher magnitude than we did with Ivy Bridge, AVX 2.0 instructions, an integrated power regulator and most important to many of us - if Intel delivers – massive improvements with regards to overclocking.

As to what Apple will take advantage of is anyone's guess at this point in time, but according to publications such as Anandtech, Apple has been one of the driving forces behind Intel's much improved graphics engine. As such we would expect that Apple will primarily use the GT3 equipped processors and we have a feeling that Apple is also looking at utilizing the SoC models in the MacBook Air range of notebooks. One concern here for the Hackintosh community is if Apple decides to shun support for the GT2 graphics parts, as it means we'd be left to use discrete graphics only.

Source: CPU World

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty exciting stuff. Ill most likely move in on a 1150 build when 2nd Gen hits. I have high hopes in pro audios usage of thunderbolt so its very possible I will just have a laptop at that point that I can rely on. I will always have a desktop most likely just in case.I hope they utilize the graphic in OS X. I'm sure they will. I remember not to long ago there was a rumor that apple was going to drop Intel and only use their A6+ processors which would end up screwing all of us. Unless Apple ever obtains full rights to Thunderbolt or they agree to buy a license to use it I don't see that happening.I don't see why Apple wouldn't support the GT3 graphics considering it could reduce costs to not include descrete graphics in their systems. I don't know we will just have to wait and see.

Same goes.for mobile however I'd imagine 13 inch MBP or any MBA ends up with GT2 so I'm not worried.

Also the iMac would most likely use the desktop processor.

Actually, don't the current iMacs use mobile processors? I wouldn't be surprised if Apple continued to do so in future models (definitely fits in with their design choices).

I frankly do ot want to believe the high end desktops will come out 2014 :(. I just bought a SSD to revive my 2004 p4-3Ghz. So far works nice again, can wait until 2013 now, but seriously not to 2014 :(. Perhaps the e5 procs willl get cheaper, or they figure new things!

I guess the market is mobile,...

thelostswede said:
No, the iMac uses desktop CPUs, but mobile discrete graphics

That must be what I was thinking of. :silent:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back