Contribute
Register

Just want to confirm the performance penalty of the CPU with E-cores

Motherboard
H610i > Need make and full model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i5-12400
Graphics
RX 5500 XT
Hi all, I have been using Hackintosh for over 5 years, and my last Hackintosh is i5-9600KF, they are all very stable as the original macOS, and help me improve my working efficiency and gain lots of awards from my manager.

These days I got a new ITX Hackintosh transferred by my friend. It uses i5-12400 as the processor and H610i as the motherboard and I just want to use it as my working machine.

But you know the CPU changed so fast in these few years, and the i5-12400 is even slower than the standard M1 processor. So I want to change the CPU of this machine.

There are some options:
  1. Change it to i9-13900F, which has the highest performance inside the H610 platform;
  2. Change it to i7-13700F, which has a lower price and lower temperature;
  3. Change it to i5-12490F which is a special version only for China mainland. Compared with the i5-12400, it has a larger L3 cache and a higher running frequency.
The problem is, I don't know how to support the E-cores and Hyper-Threading inside Hackintosh. Looking around the articles, they have different conclusions:
  1. Somebody said I can't turn on both the E-cores and Hyper-Threading because it'll stop me from entering the system; (I can't provide the link because I didn't find it in my Chrome history);
  2. Somebody said I can turn on both the E-cores and Hyper-Threading, but it still has some problems because it will lower the "ring frequency" of the CPU https://chriswayg.gitbook.io/opencore-visual-beginners-guide/advanced-topics/using-alder-lake.
So, is there somebody who can tell me if I bought a CPU with E-cores like i9-13900F or i7-13700F, what performance penalty would I have in the Hackintosh?

Last edited:
Have a read of this Golden Build post regarding E-cores and P-cores.

Have a read of this Golden Build post regarding E-cores and P-cores.

Thanks, seems that the 2nd opinion is the truth.

Back