Register

Most Compatible Build?

Motherboard
Asus Crosshair X670E
CPU
Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Graphics
RTX 4090
I'm looking to build an ITX build and wondering is there a specific hardware set where everything just works? Like audio, usb etc. With minimal messing around?

Do I buy intel 10th gen or are newer chips with a dgpu just as compatible?

is there a specific hardware set where everything just works? Like audio, usb etc. With minimal messing around?
Looks like you're brand new here. Welcome.

The work of making a hackintosh is "messing around" to make things work. Even if it's hardware close to what Apple used there's still much to do. It's not like installing macOS on a Mac mini or an iMac. So we recommend that you read the User Builds/Golden Builds section to find the system that best fits what you are looking for. Buy that hardware, follow the install guide and get a working system. It takes much time and effort but that's what we like about this. If that's not what you want, just get a Mac mini and experience the instant results with no effort.

I'm looking to build an ITX build and wondering is there a specific hardware set where everything just works? Like audio, usb etc. With minimal messing around?

Do I buy intel 10th gen or are newer chips with a dgpu just as compatible?

Hi there.

There are plenty of "Golden Builds" to review in our The Build forum. They are shown to work with minimal problems, or any that occur are overcome.

With a hackintosh there will always be even minor issues or incompatibilities. It's the nature of the beast.

Yes, you are correct, the 10th generation is the most easily compatible because this was the last Intel platform Apple used directly. However new motherboards are hard to find nowadays, but if you do then great.

:)

Sorry I should have been more specific. I have no problem with following guides and stuff to make things work however I wanted to know if there's any glaring reason to avoid getting a more recent Intel chip or if it's highly recommended to go with 10th gen or have to live with some issues. I see thunderbolt issues mentioned a lot and USB I didn't know if that's specific to newer CPUs/motherboards or if that's just a Hackintosh thing!

I'm very much used to building PCs, I've messed with Linux for various reasons in the past.

I'm hoping to build an ITX build I quite like the Hyte Revolt 3 or the Jonsbo VR3. :)

I'll try and read around a bit more I just like to get some interaction.

Mini-ITX isn't an issue in itself (look for builds in this size…), but it is limiting.

If you want Thunderbolt, only Titan Ridge (TB3) can be made to work like on genuine Apple hardware. So, with a single PCIe slot on mini-ITX board you MUST find a LGA1200 motherboard with on-board Titan Ridge—not Maple Ridge. Alternatively, you could take any Z490 board with a 10th generation CPU (NOT 11th!), use the iGPU, and put a GC-Titan Ridge AIC in the PCIe slot. If you can find the card, that is…
With 11th gen. and later, a dGPU is needed, so that takes the PCIe slot. I suppose one could use an adapter to drive a GC-Titan Ridge from a M.2 slot… but at that point it's better to just go for micro-ATX or larger: One will need at least two slots.
Without Thunderbolt, mini-ITX LGA1700 should be fine.

The need for proper USB mapping is general to hackintoshes, but is maybe higher for newer boards because newer chipsets provide way too many ports.

Back