Contribute
Register

My last personal hackintosh is on its way out. Potential hardware failure. Unsure where to go next.

For me, the most challenging thing when going from my hack back to the Mac Studio was having to rethink storage. On my hack, I had 3x 3.5" drives for storage, Time Machine, etc. I moved all those drives to a NAS and it has worked out very well. Besides that, it was an extremely smooth transition.

A bit OT, but how did you balance NAS vs. 100% silence? (Didn´t you have a related thread that I didn´t find in a quick search?)

A bit OT, but how did you balance NAS vs. 100% silence? (Didn´t you have a related thread that I didn´t find in a quick search?)
Is this the droid thread you're looking for?

Spinning drives make noise regardless whether they are in a NAS or directly in the desktop/workstation.
A NAS with a limited number of drives and a suitable case can be quiet enough. (My personal limit for an acceptable hum is six spinners in a Fractal Design Node 304.)
Or, if you have a big house, move the NAS to a "server room" in the basement, far from your ears.

My NAS runs two separate arrays. The first array is an 8 drive array running SHR2 which means two drives can fail and I would not lose any data. The second array is a 4 drive array running SHR which means one drive can fail and I would not lose any data.

The second array is where I stuck my old 3.5" drives from my hackintosh in to. When those drives were in my hackintosh, they all ran as JBOD and did not have any redundancy so my data is actually safer now than when they were in my hack. Also, my NAS and Mac Studio both have 10GBase-T so transfer speeds are very good.

As far as noise, I have the NAS tucked away in a far corner and I never hear it. Even when I get close, it doesn't really make much noise.

Back