Contribute
Register

Need help with connecting front IO on MacPro to an ATX PC motherboard

Motherboard
MSI > Need full model name > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i5 > Need full CPU name > See Forum Rules!
Graphics
RX 6600
So, I am planning to build a custom hackintosh inside an old MacPro case, like many other people seem to have done.

I haven't yet bought the MacPro case, or motherboard, but I am holding off temporarily until I can get more information on how to connect everything together, and the only bit I am struggling with so far is the front panel IO. Some of the builds I have seen on here seem to either have their own custom PCB with USB and the power button, which I do not have the expertise to do myself. Either that or they don't give any information about it at all, suggesting they just left it.

There is a custom adapter from BlackCH Mods that does the exact thing I want for the PowerMac G5, but I have had a hard time finding options on eBay for a G5 in reasonable condition near me. Is there anything like this for any of the later Mac Pros? Or an easier solution than soldering my own USBs onto a custom PCB?

I would greatly appreciate any help...

You can have a look how i did it maybe it helps you out a bit i used a Mac Pro 1.1 PC from 2006 to convert it to a ATX case and reused the front I/O board for the power button only things not working is the power-led and audio port but going to look into it in the new year have 2 more front I/O pcb boards

BlackCH Mods cable mod works for the Mac Pro G5 models for the Mac Pro models after the Mac Pro G5's it doesnt work from what i could find out when i was building mine atx conversion on the Mac Pro 1.1

what i did was grind the old ports of the front I/O pcb board and hot glue the new USB-A 3.0 ports on the board and only use the power button part on the original front I/O pcb board to your ATX motherboard

Hope this helps you out and for more info link below is my build

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/mac-pro-1-1-hackintosh-z390-designare-build-2021.311051/

Back