GT 240
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Guys

I had an idea today to build a refrigerator for my case using 2 CPU heat sinks and a peltier.

For those who do not know a peltier is a small 12v device about the size of a cpu that pulls heat from one side and moves it to the other. So if you hook 2 heat sinks to it one gets hot and one gets cold. My idea is to mount it on one of the case fan holes the hot sink on the outside and the cold sink on the inside with the fan blowing cold air into the case.

31EhiNwPnZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UQQ3Q2/ref=ox_ya_os_product

What do you guys think of the plan?

Don't know enough about this kind of deal but if you know anything about it or heard success stories, i would say go for it.

nope never seen anyone else try this as a computer case cooler.

some people use them as part of the cpu cooler but my idea is to use it to drop the inside case temp to 40 or 50F to keep all the HDD's and mobo parts cool. The cpu already stays cool with my H50 liquid cooler

ptmays said:
nope never seen anyone else try this as a computer case cooler.

some people use them as part of the cpu cooler but my idea is to use it to drop the inside case temp to 40 or 50F to keep all the HDD's and mobo parts cool. The cpu already stays cool with my H50 liquid cooler

My only question is the mounting and the size of your case, if it bug o would totally try ths cause you can just pair a bunch of old stock coolers and make a few. You should also make sure you psu has enough open pin connections.

The only 2 concerns I have are condensation and amps, and I think both can be addressed by under powering the peltier. It is made to run at 90w on 12v so I will try running it at 5v and see what I get. At 12v it should pull the cold side down to 10 to 15F, I want it to pull the cold side to 35 to 40F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back