Contribute
Register

Precision T3600 MacPro 5,1 -- Intel C600 Raid/SAS and or LSI 9211 8i / PERC H310 Drivers needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Precision Workstation T3600
CPU
4 Core Xeon E5-1603 2.8GHZ, 10M
Graphics
Dual 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 + 256MB Quadro FX 570
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Precision T3600 MacPro 5,1 -- Intel C600 Raid/SAS and or LSI 9211 8i / PERC H310 Drivers needed
Full story on how I got this far below.... but first a few questions to the knowledgeable....

Precision T3600 Ships with 2 SATA ports (SATA1, SATA2), 4 HDD ports --also SATA (HDD1, HDD2, HDD3, HDD4), and a PERC H310 SAS/SATA Raid Card --- which is a rebranded LSI SAS 9211 8i that has been upgraded to take up the full PCIe2 slot.....

Here is the problem:

The SATA1, SATA2 work -- that gives me a SATA port for my CD Drive, and a port for one of my Hard drives... (which is getting picked up as 6gb/s.... LOVING THIS....

Bad news -- HDD1-4 are apparently part of Intel C600 Chipset RSTe Raid.... and don't work out of the box.... I've looked around for a kext.... but I'm obviously using the wrong search terms.... or no one has figured this one out yet....

More Bad news -- my PERC H310 SAS card (AKA LSI SAS 9211) -- doesn't appear to work with the kext that is in Mountain Lion --- looking around it sounds like others haven't found a solution for LSI SAS 9211 either.... There is a freeBSD .ko (kernel extension) but googling using that, and even trying to find some way to get that to load.... I couldn't find a way...

Any help will be appreciated....

Below is the story of my progress so far with everything else on this build...
-=-=-=-
My path down this road started in the buying advice section, will continue here and once all done it will continue into a Guide.... Just need a little guidance, please.

Started with iBoot and Snow Leopard.... ran into some issues there because the version of Chimera that was getting installed with MultiBeast for Snow Leopard was showing 1.7.1 --- and It took me a bit to realize when it was rebooting via iBoot (Chimera 1.9.1 in my case) it would boot right with:
kernel flags
npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=1
But a reboot from hard drive (Chimera 1.7.1) would kernel panic....

NOTE: Quick fix was to run the Multibeast for Mountain Lion, on Snow Leopard, and only install the new boot loader.... as you will see below...

Having Snow Leo working I decided to keep that and create a second partition on the same disk for my Mountain Lion.... (bypassing Lion all together in this case) ABSOLUTELY NO LUCK installing from properly prepared UniBeast 1.5 for Mountain Lion -- Black screen once it booted installer.
My Fix was to grab whatever other video cards I could find lying around and try them all.... I got it to work with an ATI Radeon HD 3450 I grabbed from a Dell OptiPlex 760.... That installed fine, and then I put my Dual NVIDIA Quadro 600 back.... and kernel panics when it trys to boot directly from hard drive --- (GRR Chimera 1.7.1 that came with MultiBeast for Snow Leopard) ....

<Hours of aggrivation pass> That's when I figured out no matter what I do to org.chamleon.Boot.plist on Second Mountain Lion partition, it is still booting through first partitions Snow Leo Extras folder......

Installed Multibeast for Mountain Lion version of Chimera 1.11.1 from within first partition Snow Leopard. Now Snow Leopard works.... with just kernel flags npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=1

Got Mountain Lion working with npci=0x3000 and renamed the Extras folder on the Snow Leopard partition turns out it was trying to load all of the Snow Leopard Extras and they were causing my kernel panics....

Backed up my Snow Leopard to a dmg, and removed the partition.....

So Now I have Mountain Lion booting to dual monitors..... Only one on Each Quadro 600 DVI port.
Anything connected to the DisplayPort to DVI connectors doesn't work...
I read around and it sounds like only one DVI port per card works even on real Mac Pro..... So unless I get a monitor that does Displayport I'm done on that front.....

BUT WAIT -- I snagged one of the Quadro FX 570 cards out of a Dell Precision T3400.... Put it in the one PCIe3.0x4 25W slot onboard, and while I know it is limited to x4 rather than x16 like the 2 Quadro 600s I now have a 3 Headed MONSTER!!!!! -- Thats right 3 monitors, 1 Quadro FX 540, and 2 Quadro 600.....

This mother board uses an ALC269Q on board Audio, and while I saw some posts on how to get it to work, I noticed the Precision T3400 also had a SoundBlaster X-fi Gamer PCI card in it that was disabled because the onboard audio was hooked up.... I threw that in to this, and it just works.

So Now I just have to get some additional Storage -- Other than the 250GB drive I have this setup on I currently have 2 additional 500GB drives, another 250GB drive, and a brand new 2TB drive to install --- 4 extra drives with a total of 3.25 extra TB of space to bring me up to 3.5 TB.... BUT WAIT none of the other SATA or SAS ports are working....

<That's where the story stops.... and why I need some help>
Hoping to get that solved.... and then write this all up as a guide.....
Loving my 3 screened Dell Precision T3600 MacPro 5,1

Looking forward to make it work too.

Take a look at this thread. http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=21704
Perhaps the solution is to inject the correct hardware trough that kext. I'll try to test it on the weekend. Another solution could be to completely disable the C600 Raid but I don't think that's possible, I'll contact tech support (I have a different workstation)

I am not quite sure if you solved the PERC RAID problem, but if not, take a look at this thread:

Driver for LSI MegaRAID SAS family

I have just installed the latest version on my Dell Precision T7600 and it works like a charm. :mrgreen:

Good luck.

T7600_RAID_Info_Snapshot.jpg

Hi,

Did you manage, to make your T3600 fully working?
If yes, can you please tell me (or direct me to a page) how did you fix the issues of HDDD1-HDD4 and the audio?

Are you implying that it worked like a charm with the h310 or the intel SAS? Thanks

Sorry to ressurect this old post, but I am really hoping to get my h310 to work. Did you ever figure it out? Thanks so much!

I am not quite sure if you solved the PERC RAID problem, but if not, take a look at this thread:

Driver for LSI MegaRAID SAS family

I have just installed the latest version on my Dell Precision T7600 and it works like a charm. :mrgreen:

Good luck.

View attachment 57055

Could you please google, download and run the dspci and report what it shows.

Here is a link too https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/dpcimanager-1-5-release.107586/

I flashed my Perc H310 to LSI 9211-8 and it shows this.

LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] [1000:0072]

It does not work with MegaRAID neither as Perc nor LSI because of, I suspect, this vendor or device id 0072.

I would like to see how a card that works is reported.

David

Has anyone gotten a dell t3600 to work properly with either the intel c600 chipset activating HDD0 - HDD3 or by getting the perc h310 sas card to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back