Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

If you are running at least Monterey, get a Sapphire RX 6600 for $199 new.
Much better card than a 570. Has 8GB of GDDR6 Vram too.

Gotcha. Running Casey's Big Sur build currently and haven't wanted to upgrade and risk breaking everything. Does this mean the Radeon is likely dead?

FWIW, I recently installed an ASRock RX6600 into my Z390 Ventura machine. The only change I had to make was adding "agdpmod=pikera" to boot-args.

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 7.41.53 PM.png

I'm keeping my RX580 for my backup machine.

Running Casey's Big Sur build currently and haven't wanted to upgrade and risk breaking everything
Upgrading to Monterey should be safe and fairly straightforward. Make sure to have a fully bootable clone of Big Sur anyway as CaseySJ always suggests before any upgrade. Then there is zero risk of losing any data.

Upgrading to Monterey should be safe and fairly straightforward. Make sure to have a fully bootable clone of Big Sur anyway as CaseySJ always suggests before any upgrade. Then there is zero risk of losing any data.
Of course, I meant more for apps and plugins that might break, and I'd have to reinstall.

So I've swapped out my problematic Radeon RX 580 4GB for a Sapphire PULSE RX 580 8GB which I borrowed from a friend. It looks to boot up just fine, fans running etc., but I can't get any image to display. I typically use DisplayPort outputs to dual monitors, but I tried HDMI and a single monitor as well and still no display image. Thought it'd just be a direct swap from what I've read -- do I need to update the BIOS, plist or anything else? Thanks

Edit: I am now noticing the Z390 VGA status LED is red, indicating a graphics issue

Last edited:
So I've swapped out my problematic Radeon RX 580 4GB for a Sapphire PULSE RX 580 8GB which I borrowed from a friend. It looks to boot up just fine, fans running etc., but I can't get any image to display. I typically use DisplayPort outputs to dual monitors, but I tried HDMI and a single monitor as well and still no display image. Thought it'd just be a direct swap from what I've read -- do I need to update the BIOS, plist or anything else? Thanks

Edit: I am now noticing the Z390 VGA status LED is red, indicating a graphics issue
Did you try a different slot? Is this the Designare board? Not clear on what your running, so depending, if you do try a diff slot you may need to adjust any SSDTs. You could also boot into Windows, or at least the installer to suss out if you have two bad cards or just a bad slot.
J

Did you try a different slot? Is this the Designare board? Not clear on what your running, so depending, if you do try a diff slot you may need to adjust any SSDTs. You could also boot into Windows, or at least the installer to suss out if you have two bad cards or just a bad slot.
J
Sorry, yes it's Designare Z390. The card won't fit the other slot unfortunately, unless I get a smaller power supply (or smaller card). I might try and upgrade to Monterey first and see if that helps (been meaning to get around to it anyway since Big Sur is no longer supported)

Last edited:
The card won't fit the other slot unfortunately, unless I get a smaller power supply (or smaller card).
What do you mean here? In which slot is the card?
There should be no SSDT involved. One card not working may be a defective card. Two cards not working in the same slot begin to look like a defective motherboard.

Back