Contribute
Register

[Success]MSI x570 Ace - Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6600XT - Ventura 13.5 - Win11 - OpenCore

Motherboard
MSI x57 Ace
CPU
Ryzen 7 5800X
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Jomama22's First Hackintosh Build:
5800X - MSI x570 Ace - 32GB RAM - 6600XT

PXL_20230814_235813748.jpg

Components (all bought used)

Already Owned
  • Monitor: BenQ 120hz 1920x1080 XL2420T​

Comments

Built it for ~$550 using just about all used parts. Works wonderfully with better than expected performance!

Took me a bit to build the EFI/plist but was being pretty strict about seeing what issues I may run into with every piece of hardware. Overall a smooth experience following the dortania guide and getting bits and pieces from other places (like here lol).

Thanks for taking a look! Hopefully it may help someone out and feel free to ask any questions.

What works (just about everything)
  • Audio
  • WiFi with a/c speeds (get ~400 Mbps on my 500 Mbps connection at distance from router).
  • 2.5G ethernet with the Realtek RTL8125 (haven't tested the Intel though it is detected).
  • Bluetooth using (IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext, BlueToolFixup.kext, IntelBTPatcher.kext) in order.
    • May need top do this as well:
      • NVRAM->Add->7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82:
        bluetoothExternalDongleFailed <data> <00>
        bluetoothInternalControllerInfo <data> <00000000 00000000 00000000 0000>
    • Had to fiddle with on/off of bluetooth in settings and top bar but perfect after some reboots.
  • Samsung 970 Evo Plus: Fast boots (10-15 seconds from selection to login).
    • Trim is in fact started.
    • Came with latest firmware installed (4B2QEXM7) and made in 2023.
  • Photoshop, Illustrator, Bridge and inDesign all start. Only messed with each a bit.
What doesn't work
  • Audio will be at ~1/4 volume if MacOS is started after a Win 11 restart.
    • Audio works fine from cold boot or restart from MacOS. Others reported same issue.

Benchmarks
  • Have included Geekbench 5(left) and 6(right), with the CPU test as well as the Metal test for the GPU
7gqdka6ej5ib1.jpg

Last edited:
Good to see another AMD User Build on tonymacx86!. Those are impressive benches especially that Metal Score from the 6600XT, did you add any special ingredients to your EFI?. The 5800X is at a really good price at the moment, were you tempted by the X3D, isn't it $269 now?. How did you find working with the MSI board?, I haven't considered that brand before.

Good to see another AMD User Build on tonymacx86!. Those are impressive benches especially that Metal Score from the 6600XT, did you add any special ingredients to your EFI?. The 5800X is at a really good price at the moment, were you tempted by the X3D, isn't it $269 now?. How did you find working with the MSI board?, I haven't considered that brand before.
Nothing that I would consider out of the ordinary: Rebar enabled and using shanee's patch instead of algrey's in amd_vanilla, can't really think of anything else but can post the plist if someone wants to look through it.

I had considered the 5800x3D but was really going for band per buck with this build. I was able to snag a used 5800x for $150 (and the 6600xt for the same price). The build is for my GF who doesn't really play games much and does design work with Adobe products, so the higher core performance of the non-3D made more sense.

Her 2017 iMac's hard drive failed. I would have just replaced it with an NVMe, but the screen has a crack that runs down from one corner to about 2 inches into the visible part of the screen (with the corner itself having a bunch of cracks from the impact). Would be a 50/50 shot of whether it could be pulled off without making that crack worse and/or losing a lot of glass chunks.

As for the MSI MB, I've had 0 issues with it. Build quality is good and the BIOS is straight forward enough, though I have worked on some of their recent z690/z790 boards so kinda knew what to expect. No worse or better than the other big players. I thankfully jumped into the hackintosh world after AMD_vanilla had fixed the issues with the MSI boards and zen 3 supporting BIOS'.

It would be interesting to hear your partners thoughts on the Adobe Studio Apps with the 5800X, everyone's aware and talks about the gaming performance. But in the real world it's been a long known issue that Adobe and AMD tend to not got on!. would be interesting to hear how it compares to the iMac.

It would be interesting to hear your partners thoughts on the Adobe Studio Apps with the 5800X, everyone's aware and talks about the gaming performance. But in the real world it's been a long known issue that Adobe and AMD tend to not got on!. would be interesting to hear how it compares to the iMac.
Yeahhhhhhh I'm gonna let her find that out and see if AMDFriend scripts can fix those issues as they crop up.

Maybe I was subconsciously making her learn Windows haha (hence the dual booting). I have Adobe setup up on theWindows install as well soooo...

Nothing that I would consider out of the ordinary: Rebar enabled and using shanee's patch instead of algrey's in amd_vanilla, can't really think of anything else but can post the plist if someone wants to look through it.

I had considered the 5800x3D but was really going for band per buck with this build. I was able to snag a used 5800x for $150 (and the 6600xt for the same price). The build is for my GF who doesn't really play games much and does design work with Adobe products, so the higher core performance of the non-3D made more sense.

Her 2017 iMac's hard drive failed. I would have just replaced it with an NVMe, but the screen has a crack that runs down from one corner to about 2 inches into the visible part of the screen (with the corner itself having a bunch of cracks from the impact). Would be a 50/50 shot of whether it could be pulled off without making that crack worse and/or losing a lot of glass chunks.

As for the MSI MB, I've had 0 issues with it. Build quality is good and the BIOS is straight forward enough, though I have worked on some of their recent z690/z790 boards so kinda knew what to expect. No worse or better than the other big players. I thankfully jumped into the hackintosh world after AMD_vanilla had fixed the issues with the MSI boards and zen 3 supporting BIOS'.
can you share your efi?plz

Back