1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
playing with F11c and found unlocked CPU ratio setting:
DSCN0796.JPG

This is in F10 as well. Selecting this option allows setting the ration between 9 and 62
DSCN0799.JPG

I believe I remember seeing this on my 860 as well, but never tried to change it. Is this option configurable only on i7-875K? Or is this not what I'm reading into it?

Attachments

• DSCN0796.JPG
    DSCN0796.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 859
  • DSCN0799.JPG
    DSCN0799.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,323
Following on this thread, Lnx2Mac confirmed that the CPU ratio range available to an i7-860 is 9-22. On the i7-875 it is 9-62 as seen above. 62x133=8.25GHz :crazy: Now that's ridiculous, but I'm guessing the trick here is to change BCLK to something lower than 133 and then crank up the CPU ratio? This is all new to me. Can't wait to get some time to play with this and see if I can smoke this chip... :twisted:

There's a nice overclocking for dummies guide here: http://www.evga.com/FORUMS/tm.aspx?&m=81651

Good Luck, and don't let the smoke out of your CPU...
I heard most electronic components work on smoke, and when they leak it, they stop working :lol:

K-code chips have unlocked multipliers

Yes I am running stock clocks now. Have not had time to play with OC. I really don't do anything on this box that even needs the power of the stock i7, so it has not been a high priority

Just smoke that chip.... K's chipsets are meant to be burnt.... I dont see any reason one would pay more penny for K's to use it on stock. And yes, only K's has unlocked multipliers... But seriously, get a decent cooling system. Simple yet reliable bolt on water cooling will do...

CoreOSX said:
Just smoke that chip.... K's chipsets are meant to be burnt.... I dont see any reason one would pay more penny for K's to use it on stock. And yes, only K's has unlocked multipliers... But seriously, get a decent cooling system. Simple yet reliable bolt on water cooling will do...

I've got a Noctua cooling this chip (see sig), so it's not going to overheat. I've just not had ANY time recently to play with this. I will get back to it before too long and report results. Even with stock clocks I'm getting 10,700 geekbench 64 scores.

I'd love to be able to install the 10.6.7 dev build on this to see if there are any performance bumps, but it failed (just reboots during install and upgrade fails) and I see others seeing the same. Oh well - It does run really well on my Mac. Been using using it for a couple of days and like what i see so far.

Noctua.... yes, tat one rocks.... Huge mother of block :thumbup:

Im ordering some 875K for testing too by now... I guess we have to wait a lil while for 10.6.7 stabilized by tony...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back