Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all. I notice the GA-Z68AP-D3 is in the DSDT list. The stores in my area only has GA-Z68AP-D3-B3. I'm wondering if there is a difference between the two (with and without "-B3"). Is the GA-Z68AP-D3-B3 compatible?

Check the Gigabyte webpage for differences. If the chips that are being used on these boards are the same, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Worst case scenario is, that you will need to build a new DST for your new rig.

I've checked the Gigabyte website and other sites, there is only information for the GA-Z68AP-D3 board. In fact, I cannot find anything on the GA-Z68AP-D3-B3 on the gigabyte site.

shibirian said:
Check the Gigabyte webpage for differences. If the chips that are being used on these boards are the same, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Based on the data in the following page, which component is the "chip" that you were referring to?:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=3897#sp

In case it is not supported, is there a guide on building my own DST for the board?

the b3 boards, and the non b3 boards are essentially the same thing.

there was a problem with the early cougar point chipsets, which over time would cause issues with the sata 2 ports.

what intel and the mobo manufacturers did was issue a recall on the affected boards (pretty much all of the original 1155 boards) and start shipping new boards with a fixed version of the chipset. these 'new' boards have the same model numbers as the originals, but are distinguished from them by the addition of the B3 (sometimes R3) suffix.

because the problem was fixed a while back, and all boards currently sold are using the fixed chipset, most people refer to the boards without using the B3 suffix.
it could be that the dsdt in the database is made for b3 boards, but it could also be that the dsdt for b3 and non-b3 boards are identical.

for more info look at http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cougar ... 12108.html

as for a dsdt guide, viewtopic.php?f=14&t=35559&hilit=+dsdt

samisnake said:
it could be that the dsdt in the database is made for b3 boards, but it could also be that the dsdt for b3 and non-b3 boards are identical.

Since it's a fixed chipset all should work well. The DST does not care about that difference, I am rather sure. ;)

maybe so, however there are two revisions of the z68ap-d3; rev 1.0 and rev 2.0.
the dsdt database doesnt distinguish between the two.

a dsdt does care about that difference ;)

samisnake said:
a dsdt does care about that difference ;)

Not really. I have revision 1.1 of a GA-EP45T-UD3L and the DST in the database is for rev.1.0. Still it works flawlessly. ;)

But I agree if one is unlucky enough it could happen indeed.

samisnake, your explanation cleared up the issue on the "-B3" models. I've read on the problems some earlier boards have but didn't know the "-B3" was used to distinguish them apart.

shibirian, good to know you managed to get yours working. However, not sure if it'll work for this particular ver. 1.0 and 2.0 difference.

I'll continue my research on this. Would really appreciate any other guide/pointers. Thanks!

ckelwin, really, pick a different board then. It's not worth it to waste so much time on this, like, weeks. Just my sole opinion, of course. ;)

The GA-Z68P-DS3 board has rev 1.0, 2.0 and 2.1. While both GA-Z68XP-UD3 and GA-Z68XP-UD3P has rev 1.0 and 1.3.

I'm still back at square 1, which to choose when all boards have different revisions and there is no way to identify which revision the DSDT was extracted from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back