Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

i wanna build a server where i can install OSx or/and WHS and it would be great if someone could help me to find compatible hardware cause im really new to this stuff.
Which OS i will finally use isnt sure yet, i will test both.
I think the server doesn't need a HighEnd graphic card, but it shouldnt also to low (for streaming media). The CPU should be good, i need one with AES-NI (i5 or i7 for example) for faster encryption of my hdds which are 2TB WD EARS's HDDs. For the OS i wanna use a SSD. How many RAM should i use?

In general use is the server for backups, media data, TV/iTunes/Plex Mediaserver which is connected via 1GBit Switch to an Mac Mini (late 2010 used as htpc) with Snow Leopard, an Windows 7 PC which is for working and mobile devices like iPad. The server will get my central point of all kind of datas.

I have no fix limit for my budget, but that doesnt mean that i wanna pay 2000€ *g
The server should have much power but also in terms of energy efficiency if possible.

Would be great if someone could help me to find good hardware. All what i already have are the WD EARS HDD's.

no, i will use it as file server, for plex media server, tv server and recorder, as media streamer, iTunes server for music and backups for iOS devices, as my personal cloud, for a few programs which should run 24/7 and in future also as server for home-automation.

I've searched a few components which are:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3
Power: Corsair AX 750W (CMPSU-750AX)
Case: Fractal Design Define XL
HDD: 240GB OCZ Vertex 2 (OCZSSD2-2VTXE240G)
RAM: 2x4GB A-DATA (AX3U1600GC4G9-2G)

Based on ideas of systems from here
Is that all compatible for an Hackintosh?

I would be glad if someone could give me some tipps/comments to this constelation.

Well, Thank you very much for the great help..

Hoshii said:
Hi all,

i wanna build a server where i can install OSx or/and WHS and it would be great if someone could help me to find compatible hardware cause im really new to this stuff.
Which OS i will finally use isnt sure yet, i will test both.
I think the server doesn't need a HighEnd graphic card, but it shouldnt also to low (for streaming media). The CPU should be good, i need one with AES-NI (i5 or i7 for example) for faster encryption of my hdds which are 2TB WD EARS's HDDs. For the OS i wanna use a SSD. How many RAM should i use?

In general use is the server for backups, media data, TV/iTunes/Plex Mediaserver which is connected via 1GBit Switch to an Mac Mini (late 2010 used as htpc) with Snow Leopard, an Windows 7 PC which is for working and mobile devices like iPad. The server will get my central point of all kind of datas.

I have no fix limit for my budget, but that doesnt mean that i wanna pay 2000€ *g
The server should have much power but also in terms of energy efficiency if possible.

Would be great if someone could help me to find good hardware. All what i already have are the WD EARS HDD's.

I built a MINI to do this job and it works great - see here

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=31408

I did not use the video card, but used the integrated graphics in the chip.

Seems to be very stable and will stream 2 separate HD movies at the same time without an issue.

I run it headless with 8 TB of storage attached for the movies, music etc.

If I were to do it again I's use the I7 CPU - just to get Handbrake running a bit faster - right now I can re-encode a movie at about 20fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back