Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I was going to do a g5 mod but the cases around here are expensive and the pricks won't budge on the prices. I had scraps from a desk I built and decided to make a matching case :)

Next paycheck gives me the last $100 or so to complete the project so I will be making a trip to my grandfathers epic wood shop a few hours away. Here are some of my plans so far....

First off, here is my build:

Motherboard:
GA-H67N-USB3-B3
CPU: Intel Core i3-2105 3.1GHz
Memory: Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) KVR1333D3N9/4G
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green 500W
GFX: Intel HD 3000 (Later $$$ may get me a 6770)
FANS: Scythe SY1225SL12SL 120mm (sub 10dba)
Bluetooth: ASUS USB-BT21 (Works OOB from what I have read?????)
Bluetooth Apple keyboard
Logitech MX mouse (old)

I found an i5 2400 on craigslist a month ago and offered the guy $120, and got the deal. Once I found out the HD2000 wasn't practical for this project I flipped it for $150 :twisted: and now have that money to snag the cheaper i3, which I doubt will be much difference for my use.

Anyway, I like silent cool computers. So I hope the good airflow in this case keeps it cool. Here are some drawing and pictures. The side panel will open by hinge and latch by magnet.

I want to gloss this on the outside like my desk top. Then I want to paint the edges (where you see pressed wood layers) black. Then I want to paint the inside matt black or white.

Comments, Opinions etc all welcome!! Thanks for looking :headbang: I will update this as I move along.

Attachments

• desk.JPG
    desk.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 844
  • inside.png
    inside.png
    727.1 KB · Views: 896
  • closed.JPG
    closed.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 790
brilliant idea. will be watching this thread intently

how much are the g5 cases where you are, and where were you looking?
it took me ages to find the right case at the right price. sellers have cottoned onto the fact that people want these cases for projects, especially hackintosh, and have ramped up the price in the uk too.

I'm in Florida, USA. People want about $100 dollars (60 GPB / 70 Euros). I can't afford to drop that on something I might mess up :/

Nice wood idea :D

I have to say though is $100. for a G5 case is pretty good.
I wish I spent that for each of mine lol

Hahaha damn I saw someone selling them for 50 a while back but I didn't think I could mount everything right. I'm a cheap ass cause I will most likely ruin it lol

Great idea !! Rather than painting the exposed ply's black , what about using iron on edge banding?

:eek: See! I don't know much about construction or wood working or metal or anything. This is cool (had to google it). Def going to see if we have the equipment at the shop for this :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back