M8Y

Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1080
Just wondering if someone can help me out:
Building the Sandy Bridge Custom Build #4.
All the parts are in (and working) - the computer turns on and the display works.

When I load the iBoot disk, I get the usual screen. I replace the iBoot with the retail SL disk, and hit return. Suddenly, the screen goes out and the fan on the graphic card starts whizzing away. I have tried changing the BIOS from PCI to PCIe x16-1 thinking it had to do with the card's set up but nothing changes. I tried the -x safety mode and the GraphicEnabler safe modes, and the end result is a freeze on the Apple start up screen.
:banghead:

Here's my set up:
i7-2600
Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3
AMD Radeon HD 6870
Corsair 4gb DDR-3

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

try PCIRootUID=1 and boot

twiztidninja said:
try PCIRootUID=1 and boot

No go, my friend. Thank you, though.

M8Y said:
Just wondering if someone can help me out:
Building the Sandy Bridge Custom Build #4.
All the parts are in (and working) - the computer turns on and the display works.

When I load the iBoot disk, I get the usual screen. I replace the iBoot with the retail SL disk, and hit return. Suddenly, the screen goes out and the fan on the graphic card starts whizzing away. I have tried changing the BIOS from PCI to PCIe x16-1 thinking it had to do with the card's set up but nothing changes. I tried the -x safety mode and the GraphicEnabler safe modes, and the end result is a freeze on the Apple start up screen.
:banghead:

Here's my set up:
i7-2600
Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3
AMD Radeon HD 6870
Corsair 4gb DDR-3

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Have you tried GraphicsEnabler=No ?

I have the same card as you and it works fine in 10.7.2, 10.7.1 it was a bit flaky and I had to resort to GE=Yes, to avoid occasional (flash related) KPs.

This is unrelated to MacOS, but I was experiencing lockups with my 6870 when I had insufficient power going to the card. I only had PCIe power cable on my 500w PSU so I bought a Molex->PCIe adapter which I used to feed the other power connector, but it locked up constantly.

I bought a new power supply two days ago and I've been running it for two days without a single lockup.

I just thought I'd throw that in there. I'm pretty sure that isn't your problem, but on the 0.0001% chance it is then maybe it'll help.

tonyd said:
Have you tried GraphicsEnabler=No ?

I have the same card as you and it works fine in 10.7.2, 10.7.1 it was a bit flaky and I had to resort to GE=Yes, to avoid occasional (flash related) KPs.

Hi Tony,

Yes I did. I tried all the setups provided by the installation setup. I don't even get to the point where I do the retail install. The monitor goes out after the I hit return on the iBoot window on the retail SL launch. I am using the older iBoot disk as the one currently downloadable doesn't seem to work. I burned the .ISO to DVD-R and The startup stays in perpetual start up mode. The ISO never mounts iBoot.

This is my third build, and the first pre loading problem I have experienced.

Thanks!
M8Y

Martytoof said:
This is unrelated to MacOS, but I was experiencing lockups with my 6870 when I had insufficient power going to the card. I only had PCIe power cable on my 500w PSU so I bought a Molex->PCIe adapter which I used to feed the other power connector, but it locked up constantly.

I bought a new power supply two days ago and I've been running it for two days without a single lockup.

I just thought I'd throw that in there. I'm pretty sure that isn't your problem, but on the 0.0001% chance it is then maybe it'll help.

Hi Martytoof,

My PSU is a Corsair TX 750. I wanted to make sure I had enough power for the card.

Thanks!
M8Y

I've tried a number of different ways (including updating the BIOS) but nothing seems to be working. I suspect that the video card has an issue of some sort, although I am seeing the monitor up until I switch to boot the retail SL disk.
I am at a loss o_O

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back