Contribute
Register

2 CD or not CD, and Drive Genius to clone the HDD with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Inspiron 7559
CPU
i7-6700HQ
Graphics
960M, 530
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I just used Unibeast to do a very slick'n'quick install of Lion 10.7.2 on my computer (see sig line).

Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud4-b3 (f9 bios, 16gb ram (4x4), 1TB 7200RPM HDD - WD Black, 32mb cache)

Gigabyte ATi 6870 w/1GB RAM.

Firewire card (generic - the Firewire card on the mobo is currently enabled, but limited to fw400 - I should disable it and let the fw800 card be exclusive. 'System Report' did not tell details of the card, except it's found and ready.)

The CPU is seen as 3.41GHz when clicking "About this Mac", even though it's overclocked to 4.0GHz. All 16GB are seen, at 1600MHz (perfect).

I've not tested sleep mode yet, but the screen will blank after a while and it's fairly responsive when moving the mouse.

I have two optical drives. OS X reads them as "TSSTCorp DVD+-RWTS-H653A" and "Optiarc DVD RW AD-72805".

I'm installing Logic Studio. It decided to eject both drives at the same time when looking for "Content 1". This is weird, as when going to manually eject a disc, I have no problems there.

The BIOS has AHCI enabled, of course. 64-bit HPET.

I know OS X can be flaky with optical drives, and two of the same model - from previous testing - I know does not work very well.

Are there any specific models (I recall reading Sony is a good brand of drive) I should pony up the dough for?

Or is this so minor of a problem that I'm nitpicking over nothing?

Should I care if the bootup white screen w/Apple logo be in 800x600 res, despite it going to 1920x1080 when the login screen appears?

Also, I have DriveGenius 3.1.2. Has anybody used it to clone drives for backup purposes, to save the (surprisingly minor) hassle of new installs? On my system, it took under 15 minutes to do a Unibeast install (cool!), and seconds to configure Chimera on my boot USB drive.

Lastly, the DSDT file put in device type "MacPro 3,1". What's the difference between 3.1, 4.1, and 5.1? I'm sticking with the DSDT setting as manually changing it to 5,1 ends up with a kernal panic on booting...

Thanks!

Main apps I use:

Terragen 2.3
Adobe Creative Suite 5.5
Adobe Lightroom 3
Logic Studio 2
Live Interior 3D Pro (rarely, but it's there)
iTunes
Parallels 7 (for running Office 2010, Visual Studio 2010, and now Bryce 7 Pro in as DAZ has put Mac support on hiatus and Lion is preferable in terms of compatibility right now :( )
iStat 3 (once I buy it, but I've grown attached to how cool it looks on the top menubar :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back