Graphics
ATI HD 5770
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm still new to Mac & OSX so need a little advice.
I've got my I7 930 setup and running with OSX 10.6.5 installed and as far as I can tell everything is running as it should. Audio, Graphics, Networking, USB all seem to be OK.

My problem is that when I connect my digital camera (Canon Powershot S95) via USB nothing seems to happen? When I do the same on my Windows 7 machine my camera is recognized and I can view/download the images etc.

Obviously OSX (Unix based) and Windows 7 are very different platforms, my qusetions are...

1> When I connect my Powershot S95 via USB in OSX should something happen, should I be able to access the cameras memory card?
2> Do I need drivers installed to recognize the camera?
3> Is there an application within OSX that I need to use in order to access the camera?

Hopefully there is a simple answer to the above, any help would be greatly appreciated.

SunSparc

Sun Sparc said:
I'm still new to Mac & OSX so need a little advice.
I've got my I7 930 setup and running with OSX 10.6.5 installed and as far as I can tell everything is running as it should. Audio, Graphics, Networking, USB all seem to be OK.

My problem is that when I connect my digital camera (Canon Powershot S95) via USB nothing seems to happen? When I do the same on my Windows 7 machine my camera is recognized and I can view/download the images etc.

Obviously OSX (Unix based) and Windows 7 are very different platforms, my qusetions are...

1> When I connect my Powershot S95 via USB in OSX should something happen, should I be able to access the cameras memory card?
2> Do I need drivers installed to recognize the camera?
3> Is there an application within OSX that I need to use in order to access the camera?

Hopefully there is a simple answer to the above, any help would be greatly appreciated.

SunSparc

So no external disks pop up in the Finder either?

Not really sure about this, but some cameras have a setting for the USB function. Can either be just a disk, or can be set to Picture or Media Transport Protocol (PTP/MTP).
In this mode, the memory is not seen as a flash disk, but requires additional driver s/w (normally in WindowsMedia Player). So, it's worth to check that setting, if it exists.

But first, try the OSX Image Capture app in Applications folder, which I guess is the thing that in OSX, knows how to handle PTP.

humph said:
Not really sure about this, but some cameras have a setting for the USB function. Can either be just a disk, or can be set to Picture or Media Transport Protocol (PTP/MTP).
In this mode, the memory is not seen as a flash disk, but requires additional driver s/w (normally in WindowsMedia Player). So, it's worth to check that setting, if it exists.

But first, try the OSX Image Capture app in Applications folder, which I guess is the thing that in OSX, knows how to handle PTP.
You should be able to change the control mode with the back control button from camera to transport mode. Then open iPhoto to transfer your pics to the computer.

Thanks for your replies,

I've managed to access the camera using the 'Image Capture' app within the applications folder (thanks Humph).
The thing I find a little strange is that both Linux and windows show my camera as a mass storage device. But for some reason OSX didn't seem to recognize my camera without the 'Image Capture' app, i guess thats just how it works... I've got quite a lot to learn about OSX :D

It's not a hackintosh problem: to my knowledge, OSX doesn't recognize Canon cameras as mass storage devices at all. Disk reader or import software (whether apple, adobe, canon, or other) are your two options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back