Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have been lurking here for quite a while. It's been very educational. I'm very appreciative to all who post to this forum.

The following setup will be my first Hackintosh attempt. It will be used mostly for Photoshop CS5 processing 100MB+ PSD images. I am tired of waiting for repaints.

From reading other successful posts, I think this build might work. If it doesn't work immediately it's OK, I can use Windows 7 until a newer version of OSX comes out. Any comments?

Also, will I have any trouble with either of the coolers listed at the bottom? Will either cooler hit the memory? Will either fit into the case?

Asus P8P67Pro motherboard
Core i7 2600K LGA 1155
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Gigabyte Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0 x16 Video Card
Corsair Graphite 600T case
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ
Seasonic X-650 PSU
Mac OS X version 10.6.3 Snow Leopard

Noctua NH-D14
Mugen-2 Rev.B CPU

Thanks, Lars

I recommend holding off a couple of weeks until you see more info popping up here. ;)

Be advise that the Asus P8P67 Pro has an Intel LAN chipset instead of the RealTek chipset. This could be a problem. See 1st paragraph above. (I'm looking at it, too, but the LAN chipset is holding me back.) MultiBeast has a driver for the Intel LAN chipset in the Network section (only two choices: Lnx2Mac's RealTek Ethernet driver and Hnaka's Intel chipset driver).

Your case - Corsair 600T - is an outstanding choice, IMHO. :thumbup: Build like the proverbial brick outhouse. It has outstanding cable management and other features. (See my Build Description link in my signature block. Scroll to the end of my OP and read Future Plans.) I've discovered that this case is bigger than you think.

Everything else looks like it will work without problem. I'll let others comment on the memory. But, in my case, the fins on my G.Skill Ripjaws memory in my current system did cause a problem with my CPU cooler fan plastic cage. However, an Xacto knife solved the problem. The Mugen-2 Rev.B CPU is in every one of Tony's recommended LGA 1156 builds, and the 600T will swallow it up. (See 1st paragraph.)

Graphics card: some 5770's work better than others depending upon the monitor. I take it you have a run-of-the-mill monitor using DVI connection(s). If you will be using an Apple Cinema Display with mini DisplayPort connectors, check this thread out: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9000

Finally, what will you be doing with the system? Anything taxing (computing nuclear reactions, designing the next generation space shuttle, recording beelzebozo's band's next CD) or just fooling around? (BTW, beelzebozo is one of the moderators. :lol: ) A short explanation of use will help us help you better.

Thanks for your response, Stork.

No space shuttle or nuclear reactions computations, just Photoshop CS5 and VS2010 (Windows). I need a treat. I have been using a Gigabtye GA-P35-DS4 with a Q6600 for a while and both of the two apps crawl.

As for the 5770, I believe it's the Batmobile, right? I was thinking of getting a Dell UltraSharp U3011 30" 2560 x 1600 monitor. My wife is an artist. Color accuracy is important to her. I calibrate her existing IPS HP 2335 with a ColorMunki about every two weeks.

Lars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back