Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,
New to the forums but have been reading a lot and I think I have come up with a prospective build. Only problem I really have left to sort out is wireless card and I want some advice as the easiest/cheapest OOB wireless card/usb. OK onto the build.

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 - £89.99
CPU - Intel i5-760 - £162.44
GPU - Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1GB GDDR5 - £146.96
RAM - G-Skill 2x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ripjaws - £46.60
HD - Seagate 1TB SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - £39.90
Drives - LiteOn IHAS124-19 24x DVD RW (SATA) - £11.99
Case - Coolermaster Elite 430 All Black With Elite 500W PSU - £58.19
CPU Cooler and fans - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 and a Coolermaster Sickleflow fan - £28.67

For a grand total of £584.74! But I have a few questions. What do you think? It will mostly be used for photo and video editing (Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere Pro) and gaming on a Windows partition. Is there anywhere I could spend a little less? I'm not sure if it is too powerful for what I said above. And what do you think is the best desktop solution for wi-fi? I don't mind if it isn't wireless n. I'll be installing using iBoot and Multibeast and OS X 10.6.x Is there anything I need explicitly to make this work (kexts and such). I've heard there have been problems with Fermi cards so what should I do about that.

Thanks for your help and sorry for the wall of text!

Joey

I have the same board as you, works like a charm. If you are new in this field, and you have heard of fermi issue, then I would suggest you change the following to make your HACKINTOSH less headache.

a) Replace your GTX460 with Radeon 5770. (This might save you $)
b) change your DVDROM to Sony Optiarc 7260.

Once you have that, then iboot + multibeast should be easy and you would have OOB working unit. just follow the guide and once you got it running remember to install Chameleon ATI Experimental as your boot loader. Use notshy's build, even though he has different board + CPU but same graphic card.

ijhu said:
I have the same board as you, works like a charm. If you are new in this field, and you have heard of fermi issue, then I would suggest you change the following to make your HACKINTOSH less headache.

Once you have that, then iboot + multibeast should be easy and you would have OOB working unit. just follow the guide and once you got it running remember to install Chameleon ATI Experimental as your boot loader. Use notshy's build, even though he has different board + CPU but same graphic card.

Thanks for the quick reply. How does the 5770 compare graphics wise? Also I've heard lots about GTS250 s etc? I'll change the drive thanks. Any help as far as wi-fi goes? Can you post your BIOS settings? That would really help me out thanks :)

JoeyM said:
ijhu said:

Thanks for the quick reply. How does the 5770 compare graphics wise? Also I've heard lots about GTS250 s etc? I'll change the drive thanks. Any help as far as wi-fi goes? Can you post your BIOS settings? That would really help me out thanks :)

Welcome to the forum - nice to see a brit on here !

If you are going to get a 5770 then please get the Gigabyte 5770 Batmobile card.

Drive = definitely Sony Optiarc - see the link to my build in my signature for the exact model.

Wifi - check the Wiki for a list of Wifi Cards and the user "JPA" has also created a thread for build components so check those two lists.

BIOS settings - see the link in my signature also.

Good luck !

notshy said:
Welcome to the forum - nice to see a brit on here !

If you are going to get a 5770 then please get the Gigabyte 5770 Batmobile card.

Drive = definitely Sony Optiarc - see the link to my build in my signature for the exact model.

Wifi - check the Wiki for a list of Wifi Cards and the user "JPA" has also created a thread for build components so check those two lists.

BIOS settings - see the link in my signature also.

Good luck !

Although brit by location, Irish by blood!

Thanks Notshy! That card looks awesome! How would you say it performs?

I have a general idea as far as wifi goes, just wondering about peoples personal solutions. Thanks for the BIOS settings!

u got the mobo and cpu right, what said before, going with an ati will save u troubles cus teh 460 isnt know to always work out of the box. the 5770 is 9chagned from 460 to 5770 myself cus of this)

This shoul dbe an easy build and following the steps from this sites tutorial you will have a workign system in fast.

Yoyellow said:
u got the mobo and cpu right, what said before, going with an ati will save u troubles cus teh 460 isnt know to always work out of the box. the 5770 is 9chagned from 460 to 5770 myself cus of this)

This shoul dbe an easy build and following the steps from this sites tutorial you will have a workign system in fast.

Thanks Yoyellow! Sounds like the 5770 is the way to go, have you tried playing games or anything similar on it?

JoeyM said:
Yoyellow said:

Thanks Yoyellow! Sounds like the 5770 is the way to go, have you tried playing games or anything similar on it?

teh games i play work liek a charm, wow, starcraft 2, cod4 and dragon age 2 all work perfect (not on ultra but high graphics)

if u want to be sure for a working gfx card (even different 5770's can be a problem) i have the MSI HD5770 1GB HAWK one, works perfect out of the box with ati experimental chameleon.

if u are planning on playing bigass ehavy games you might want to look for a more expensive card, but for my games teh 5770 works perfect

Yoyellow said:
teh games i play work liek a charm, wow, starcraft 2, cod4 and dragon age 2 all work perfect (not on ultra but high graphics)
if u want to be sure for a working gfx card (even different 5770's can be a problem) i have the MSI HD5770 1GB HAWK one, works perfect out of the box with ati experimental chameleon.
if u are planning on playing bigass ehavy games you might want to look for a more expensive card, but for my games teh 5770 works perfect

Thanks yoyellow, I don't mind spending a bit more for a beefier graphics card as I was hoping to play black ops and the like on high/ultra settings with reasonable fps. thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back