Contribute
Register

NVMe Kernel Panic - Out of ideas

What I'm suggesting is a way to quickly determine if it's your Z370N board that's the problem. You could also move the Ram modules to test with that other board too. My first guess is that it's probably ESD damage to the Z370N board you use now. If the NVMe works fine in another board, even with the same ram, it's pretty obvious that the mobo is at fault.

What I'm concerned about is actually being able to trust any data here.
It's been working fine again all evening -- it's so random

z790 strix-a d4, sn850

same problem NOW, started this week and today 10 reboots and panics, now working....

LOL

Really?
You serious? Same issue for you?

And you are on a way newer build and different SSD
This is so strange

Updated to Sonoma 14.5 today ... also ensured to "force Trim" in terminal just in case

Have been running all day with no issues

@trs96

Still going strong after overnight with no reboots or issues

Do you think this randomness points to hardware as you were surmising?

Could TRIM actually not be working right for me?

Doing a macOS update do anything to mask issues for awhile?

Still going strong after overnight with no reboots or issues
Troubleshooting intermittent problems is always the most difficult because it's not a reproducible problem. You've had this going on since Fall of 2021. If it were my hardware doing this I would have ruled out each component one by one until I got to the cause. If you can live with the uncertainty of never knowing when a freeze up will happen that's up to you. At this point it's most likely hardware but you never know for sure until you pinpoint the cause. Random panics/freeze ups are a needle in the haystack type of problem. Most anything can cause them.

Troubleshooting intermittent problems is always the most difficult because it's not a reproducible problem. You've had this going on since Fall of 2021. If it were my hardware doing this I would have ruled out each component one by one until I got to the cause. If you can live with the uncertainty of never knowing when a freeze up will happen that's up to you. At this point it's most likely hardware but you never know for sure until you pinpoint the cause. Random panics/freeze ups are a needle in the haystack type of problem. Most anything can cause them.

Is it your opinion, based upon your knowledge and visibility to others experiences, that there are no real inherent NVMe issues with Hacks (if correct NVMe sticks are chosen) and I'd be safe to do a newer hack?

Rather than spending much time/$ troubleshooting this old build, I'm strongly considering doing an all new hack with as close to the latest hardware so I can run that for a long time moving forward

I do dual boot and game in Windows, so it's been on my mind to do a newer one while I can.

Is it your opinion, based upon your knowledge and visibility to others experiences, that there are no real inherent NVMe issues with Hacks (if correct NVMe sticks are chosen) and I'd be safe to do a newer hack?
I know that I and most of the other mods here use the recommended WD NVMe drives as their primary boot drive for macOS and none have ever reported any KPs because of those drives. No slow boot times or even drive failures. That's why we recommend them to the community. It's not based on clinically controlled double blind studies, just user experience but that's good enough for my hackintosh. It's not a mission critical work machine and I have data backups if the drive were to fail. My 12+ year old 2.5" MLC Sata SSDs still work fine so it may be that I just have good luck, IDK.

If you are certain you won't need an Apple Silicon for the next 4 years then yes, build a new hack and use it till then. If you will need to run anything newer than 10.15 before then, switch to an ASi Mac instead.

@trs96 thx!
Other thing I've considered is getting a preowned M1/M2 mini hopefully could find one with 16GB RAM and using this NVMe stick as my boot drive in a USB4/TB enclosure. I'm seeing good reports on many folks doing that.

That machine could one day become my new Plex server

Back