Graphics
GT 240
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm looking for a fellow modder on here that could cut me an aluminum plate to cover my PSU. I could cut this myself given the place to do it and the right tools (a metal band saw) and the chunk of aluminium to cut from. I'm looking for a clean peace of aluminium about the thickness of the case cut to about 4"x8" I can get exact measurements if someone can help.

Photo%252520Aug%25252008%25252C%2525206%25252033%25252008%252520PM.jpeg

You can purchase metal from this web store: http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cf ... top_cat=60

They will cut to size for you and ship per your request. The "clad sheet PVC.." has one finished side that is usually very good (almost mirror finish).

I used them for most of the sheet stock on my G5 Power Mac hack.

However, trying to match the color, luster, and general appearance of the original Mac Pro power supply cover is nearly impossible.

I suggest that you leave it as is for now and keep an eye on Craigslist and E-bay for a junk Mac Pro power supply that has the original cover. The original cover is held in place with 4 screws and could be made to align with the optical drive cover with a little work.

If you are interested, check out my projects at:
http://www.1neilhart.com/main-web/index.html

just my thoughts,
neil

neilhart

thanks for the advise, I will look in to that. I have seen where someone has cut a second dvd drive bay down to make a cover that may be a little cheaper than a psu off ebay

If you want to cover the PSU why not use the G5 CPU cover plate for the dual processors. Might be just the right fit and it will give you that G5 name plate :D
Just a thought.

Also edit your first post about the paying for service please :)
9. No Solicitation.
This is not an online market, nor is it a paid help desk. No selling, soliciting, trading of goods, or petitioning of members for paid help

I remember seeing a mod on the aquamac site and they had purchased a second CD caddy and modded it to cover the power supply. It turned out real nice.

gdtrfb24 said:
I remember seeing a mod on the aquamac site and they had purchased a second CD caddy and modded it to cover the power supply. It turned out real nice.
Yeah you can do that but you have to shorten it but I don't think ptmays has the tools to do it as stated in first post.
Maybe get one and a friend might have a saw with metal blade <shrugs> ;)

Thanks eelhead, I fixed the first post, forgot about that rule.

I think I could cut the DVD drive carriage with with a dremel tool and use some of the rubber edging that Mooner found to cover the cut edge, I think that may look the best. I found a guy with them on ebay for $30 shipped do you guys than that is a good price or should I keep looking?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Apple-Mac-P...ps=63&clkid=1947039192445594126#ht_500wt_1202

I'd go for it unless you can find one cheaper.
He has 5, you could give it a couple of days and hunt around and if you don't find one then just get one of his :D

Edit:
Dude has Mac Pro cases for sale on the cheap!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back