Contribute
Register

[Solved] NVIDIA Web Driver iBooks Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going out of my mind trying to fix XCode view hierarchy debugging and Reveal.app before I saw the suggestion to enable integrated graphics, but after enabling them everything is working perfect for me. I am on a Z97 board with a GTX970 driving two 34" 3440x1440 screens via DisplayPort on macOS 10.12.2. I did notice to get integrated graphics working correctly with XCode and Reveal I had to ensure that one of the screens was plugged in to the onboard DisplayPort connector and the other is plugged into the GTX970, and BIOS must have the initial display output set to the integrated graphics.
I did find one workaround, at least for XCode view hierarchy debugging that worked without enabling integrated graphics, but it's a bit of a hack, and doesn't fix the problem with Reveal:

cd /Applications
sudo cp -R Xcode.app Xcode-unsigned.app
sudo codesign --remove-signature Xcode-unsigned.app
Then open the Xcode-unsigned.app and open your project. If you have an existing iOS Simulator open, I'd suggest quitting it before attempting to debug using the unsigned Xcode copy. I don't know if this has any side effects and I only used that when I needed to debug the view hierarchy, but it did work for me before I enabled integrated graphics. I tried removing the codesigning on Reveal but the app crashes on launch when there isn't a valid code signature.

For reference purposes, below are the changes I made to my config.plist to get the integrated graphics working properly with Xcode and Reveal.app. I'm not 100% certain if all of them were required because I tried so many different things before it finally worked. I think the key for my particular setup was plugging one monitor into the onboard DisplayPort connector.

Under /ACPI/DSDT, I added:

<key>Fixes</key>
<dict>

<key>FIX_INTELGFX_100000</key>
<true/>
<key>FixDisplay_0100</key>
<true/>
<key>NewWay_80000000</key>
<true/>
</dict>
The /Graphics dictionary looks like this:
<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>

<key>Inject</key>
<dict>

<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Intel</key>
<true/>
<key>NVidia</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>NvidiaSingle</key>
<false/>
<key>ig-platform-id</key>
<string>0D220003</string>
</dict>
Just in case it matters, my /RtVariables/BooterConfig is set to 0x28, my /RtVariables/CsrActiveConfig is set to 0x67, and I've got my SMBIOS setup as iMac14,2. As it stands right now I have both screens working fully at 3440x1440 with full acceleration and have no issues with Xcode, Reveal, or iBooks. Hope this helps.

View attachment 229320View attachment 229321

Trying to get iBooks working as I have the dreaded clear windows.

I see that many of you have it fixed my enabling the Motherboard GPU - I see all this lovely code and I'm not sure exactly WHERE to enter this in Clover.

Is there a tutorial I missed on how to do this?

I searched quite a bit (Tony: Love you and the site, but the forum search leaves a bit to be desired :( )

The new nVidia Pascal drivers have not fixed the iBooks bug. Same problem still occurs.

Thanks for reporting your findings- we'll have to see if a solution appears.

There are some people reporting working iBooks and claiming their IGPU is disabled. I'm still trying to figure out what is going on there; either their IGPU isn't fully disabled OR the software renderer is somehow better on certain CPUs and/or system definitions? So weird.

There are some people reporting working iBooks and claiming their IGPU is disabled. I'm still trying to figure out what is going on there; either their IGPU isn't fully disabled OR the software renderer is somehow better on certain CPUs and/or system definitions? So weird.

Moreover, after latest Sierra update my working iGPU + NV setup starts produce rare freezes and often glitches in safari-webkit based apps (Safari, Slack, etc) on monitor connected to iGPU. On NV-monitor all seems to be ok.

So, things getting worse even for stable (in the past) iGPU + NV setup.

I'm very tired about this. I have no time to hack around and have no money (at the moment) to buy a new MacBook.

F***ing capitalism.

Emm... my clover config has standard hacks for iGPU from this thread (Azul, etc). Because of problems described in previous post I disabled iGPU in BIOS. And did _not_ modify clover config. And when only NV GPU is enabled I have no safari glitches, iBook and instruments.app works well.

HD4600, GTX 980, latest Sierra update, latest NV drivers. Config.plist included. Initial installation was via mutibeast/unibeast. Further configuration via editing config.plist (merely in "notepad", without GUI configurators).

Can anyone reproduce my experience?

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.5 KB · Views: 264
Emm... my clover config has standard hacks for iGPU from this thread (Azul, etc). Because of problems described in previous post I disabled iGPU in BIOS. And did _not_ modify clover config. And when only NV GPU is enabled I have no safari glitches, iBook and instruments.app works well.

HD4600, GTX 980, latest Sierra update, latest NV drivers. Config.plist included. Initial installation was via mutibeast/unibeast. Further configuration via editing config.plist (merely in "notepad", without GUI configurators).

Can anyone reproduce my experience?

If I boot directly with your config.plist it doesn't fix it. BTW, you have some invalid characters in that file, probably due to whatever text editor you are using to edit it. It's not loadable in either clover configurator or the Xcode plist editor until they are removed. I'm not sure how clover itself handles them.

Which CPU do you have? I think the difference here may be that some cpus result in better/more fully featured CoreAnimation software renderers. There was someone on ****** (I think they post here too) that showed their logs clearly falling back to the software renderer and working correctly. They were on Skylake.

Which CPU do you have?

Intel Core i7 4790K, without overclocking
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MK2

BTW, you have some invalid characters in that file, probably due to whatever text editor you are using to edit it.

In attached screenshot config.plist opened in Atom. I alway edit plist with Atom and, originally, plist created by Multibeast/Unibeast. Maybe your editor cannot understand LF line endings?

And I'm almost sure that Clover can read this plist. Many times I did changes via clover bootloader menu and saw that clover config affects boot params.

Moreover, I remembered that I've somehow activated HDMI audio both for iGPU and GTX.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 10.16.14.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 10.16.14.png
    218.3 KB · Views: 164
Intel Core i7 4790K, without overclocking
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MK2

In attached screenshot config.plist opened in Atom. I alway edit plist with Atom and, originally, plist created by Multibeast/Unibeast. Maybe your editor cannot understand LF line endings?

And I'm almost sure that Clover can read this plist. Many times I did changes via clover bootloader menu and saw that clover config affects boot params.

Moreover, I remembered that I've somehow activated HDMI audio both for iGPU and GTX.

It's not LF line endings, it's an extra byte at the end of two lines. One after the ig-platform-id value and the other at the end of the hd4600 isolate closing dict tag. Deleting them let's it be read by plist editor/clover configurator. Probably using the same XML parser. Clover is likely a bit more permissive.

We have the exact same CPU, so now I have no idea why yours works and mine doesn't. Although how can you activate HDMI audio for the iGPU if it is disabled? Or did you mean before you disabled it?

Or did you mean before you disabled it?

Exactly. Main monitor was connected to iGPU, TV was connected to GTX. As I remember it was easy to activate it (maybe automated script).

Also, I tried to install shiki basing on instructions from this thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/itunes-protected-video-black-screen-solution-hdcp.195083/

I did something wrong and kext didn't loaded, but I've execute this commands from instruction:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceNV -boolean yes

defaults delete com.apple.coremedia
defaults delete com.apple.AppleGVA
sudo rm -rf /Users/Shared/SC\ Info
sudo defaults delete com.apple.coremedia
sudo defaults delete com.apple.AppleGVA

Currently shiki kext removed from load paths. But, maybe, this commands did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back