Contribute
Register

Sonoma 14.3.1 Installation on the Dell OptiMac 7020/9020 Desktops

Will this guide work for the Dell 3020 SFF ?
The general steps may help you figure out what is necessary for a 3020. Don't use the EFI folder that's attached.
Also note the OCLP patches don't work perfectly for HD4600 iGPU performance. Not always smooth.

If you're serious about using Sonoma longer term, Get either an HP Elitedesk/Prodesk G4 (not G3) or Dell Optiplex 5060/7060 with a Core i5/i7. Then the iGPU has full support.

Last edited:
So ended up grabbing myself a BRCM94360CD with an adapter card (to replace my current BCM94352HMB) that juuust fits with the USFF's tool-less minipci slot....

OCLP patcher picked it up and wifi works great. I suspect however the bundled adapter (I think for an iMac) doesn't have USB lines wired to the Mini PCI slot, as its not showing up on the internal port.
I assume I'll have to find an adapter that does, or get one that breaks it out to an external port and plug it in the back.....

I'll report back with updates, as otherwise having a system this inexpensive run the latest version of macOS so completely (aside from BT ATM) and so well is pretty awesome. :thumbup:

No luck on an adaptor for my BRCM94360CD so far. My current one gets me wifi but not bt as previously mentioned.
Found another adaptor that pipes bt over USB (routed it to a reat USB 2.0 port), which sonoma recognized and connected to my Bluetooth headphones just fine.

Except that a) this adapter stops the wifi portion of the card being recognised by the system (doesn't show in Hackintool's PCI menu) and b) the system freezes on boot when the rear usb is plugged in...... :?:

The search continues, I might expand it to include non-apple mini-pcie cards that people have gotten to work to avoid adapters all together.

System has otherwise been rock solid :)

IIRC Dell don’t add a builtin USB port to the WiFi card connector on the motherboard in there SFF systems. On my two OptiPlex 3050 SFF systems I had to use a PCIe x1 adapter with a cable connection to the internal USB header to get Bluetooth working.

Didn’t have the same issues with my MFF OptiPlex 3050 systems, the M.2 cards (Intel AX200 & Broadcom BCM943602) worked once I had the correct kexts added to the OC setup. I am not using OCLP or running Sonoma on the two systems with the Apple branded Broadcom cards installed.

IIRC Dell don’t add a builtin USB port to the WiFi card connector on the motherboard in there SFF systems. On my two OptiPlex 3050 SFF systems I had to use a PCIe x1 adapter with a cable connection to the internal USB header to get Bluetooth working.

Didn’t have the same issues with my MFF OptiPlex 3050 systems, the M.2 cards (Intel AX200 & Broadcom BCM943602) worked once I had the correct kexts added to the OC setup. I am not using OCLP or running Sonoma on the two systems with the Apple branded Broadcom cards installed.
I had this machine (9020usff) running Monterey with a BCM94352HMB prior to the current Sonoma setup, and after mapping ports correctly bt was routed over usb via the internal mini pcie slot.

I wonder if the SFF and USFF have different wiring for their mini pcie ?

Back