Contribute
Register

Tim Cook suggests users should get yearly iPhone upgrades

I remember, many years ago when I worked in engineering, my boss ordered a crate of brass-bodied padlocks from China. Heavy items half way around the world...

He discovered, at that time, he could sell the brass locally by weight for scrap and get more back than he paid.

This has underlined the great temptation for all manufacturers to out-source manufacturing that far away. It's really crazy but this is how our world works today.

Wow.

I can't imagine how much an iPhone would cost if manufactured here in the US... $10K? $20K if the factory workers are unionized?

Wow.

I can't imagine how much an iPhone would cost if manufactured here in the US... $10K? $20K if the factory workers are unionized?

It's true, isn't it?

We all know Apple makes a great margin compared with other manufacturers BUT it is easy to forget the development costs for such well engineered and innovative products.

:)

Wow.

Probably true back then but we have more machines or robots doing the work now to keep the labor cost down.

Probably true back then but we have more machines or robots doing the work now to keep the labor cost down.

According to the following article, Apple employs about 300,000 people in China...

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 8.19.34 AM.png

Source:https://www.arnnet.com.au/slideshow/539365/life-an-iphone-factory-china/

A quick google about Apples expansion in India, numbers like 1M being thrown out!, 72% are woman.

Back