Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Ventura+OC: BCM94352Z wi-fi works, but occasionally doesn't..?

Motherboard
Z370N-WIFI
CPU
i7 8700
Graphics
AMD Radeon RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all, I've searched around to try to find other users with this particular issue but had no luck so far.

My BCM94352Z wifi+bt card is working on a Ventura install (using OC 0.9.7) and for the most part it works fine, but occasionally, when i boot the computer, the wifi is not found. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 reboots for the wifi to work again. What could be the cause of this intermittent failure? Could it be a prob with the firmware repo not being uploaded to the card for some reason? I checked the load order in the config.plist and all seems right to me but maybe not. Any pointers much appreciated thanks!

Attachments

• config.plist
    35.7 KB · Views: 2
Hi all, I've searched around to try to find other users with this particular issue but had no luck so far.

My BCM94352Z wifi+bt card is working on a Ventura install (using OC 0.9.7) and for the most part it works fine, but occasionally, when i boot the computer, the wifi is not found. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 reboots for the wifi to work again. What could be the cause of this intermittent failure? Could it be a prob with the firmware repo not being uploaded to the card for some reason? I checked the load order in the config.plist and all seems right to me but maybe not. Any pointers much appreciated thanks!
Lilu.kext should be first in your list

make sure you have done this correctly:
and that your wifi is set to internal (255)

Thanks Feartech. The usb ports are already configured (via USBToolbox on Windows, hence USBToolBox.kext and UTBMap.kext). The load order was sorted by ProperTree which I assumed would be correct. I'll try moving Lilu up top, cheers.

Thanks Feartech. The usb ports are already configured (via USBToolbox on Windows, hence USBToolBox.kext and UTBMap.kext).
without seeing your files...?

zip and upload your EFI

sorry for delay, EFI attached thanks.
i changed the BT from USB3 to internal (255) but it's made no difference.
i've since noticed that the prob almost always occurs when i've booted into macOS after running win11 (separate boot drive) - but it sometimes happens when i've not booted windows beforehand too.

Attachments

• garf-EFI.zip
    21.7 MB · Views: 5
I would look at the UTBMap.kext you created as the source of this issue.

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 21.02.36.png UTBMap.kext/Contents/info.plist viewed in ProperTree.

Your kext has 6 x ports set as USB2 (physical)HS01 - HS06, when your motherboard doesn't have any physical USB2 (0) ports.

These ports are all likely to be served from USB3 physical ports, so I believe that HS01-HS05 inclusive, should be set to match the physical port, i.e. set as USB3 (3), not (0).

HS07, is anomaly in that it is set as USB3 (3). I say this is an anomaly because SS07 is set as Type-c+sw (9).

HS06 is set as USB2 physical, but again SS06 is set as Type-c+sw. I would have thought the two should be matched.

I assume HS08 is your Bluetooth USB port, as it is the only internal port (255).

Even though the Bluetooth port looks to be set correctly, any other errors in your setup can cause devices not to function correctly when you boot macOS.

Your motherboard contains the following USB ports:
  1. 2 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports available through the internal USB header
  2. 8 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports (6 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB header)
  3. 1 x USB Type-C™ port on the back panel, with USB 3.1 Gen 1 support

Here are a couple of images showing the Rear I/O plate and motherboard layout from your Z370N WiFi board.
Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 20.54.46.png Rear I/O plate ports

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 20.55.19.png Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 21.08.43.png Motherboard layout
USB headers located bottom right corner, just below the 4 x SATA ports.

Not sure you need the 3 x Broadcom Bluetooth kexts, I never have when using a natively supported WiFI/BT card.

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 21.10.56.png /EFI/OC/Kexts folder

Just realised that your motherboard only has 1 x Type-C port on the rear I/O plate, no internal header.

So the 2 x Type-c+sw ports (SS07 & SS08) are wrong, as there should only be one SSxx port set as Type-c+SW. There should be a corresponding (companion) port for the Type-C USB2 (virtual port) in the HSxx section, if you have activated the USB2 side of the Type-C connector.

It is also possible that the 2 x Type-c+sw ports should be changed to a Type-c port (10), i.e. one without a switch. Whichever way they test out, you need to revisit the UTBMap.kext to correct these errors.

Thanks a lot, Ed.
If I remember correctly, the guide I used said that each usb3 port needed 2x ports opening in the map (for usb2 and usb3 connections on each port) so that's why there are so many. Is that not the case? As for the 2x usb-c ports, again that's almost certainly my misunderstanding about the port's switching behaviour (needing one for each direction). I'll have another look at the map and see if I can wrap my head around it thanks again!

You are correct about each USB3 port having two sides.

They have the USB3 physical side and the USB2 virtual side. However, both sides should be set to match the physical side, i.e. USB3 (3). The USB2 virtual port should never be set as USB2 (0) physical port. Only USB2 physical ports, i.e. those with a black coloured tang on the rear I/O plate should be set in this way.

The Type-C ports are easy to get wrong, as there are two types that look identical. The difference is in how they behave when a Type-C device is inserted.

With a Type-c+sw (9) port when you insert a Type-C device an SSxx port will be highlighted. When you remove the device, flip it 180 degrees and reinsert the device in the same physical port, the same USB port (SSxx) will be highlighted.

With a Type-C (10) port (without switch) when you insert a Type-C device an SSxx port will be highlighted. When you remove the device, flip it 180 degrees and reinsert the device in the same physical port, a different USB port (SSxx) will be highlighted.

This is how you tell the difference between the two types of Type-C port.

Each Type-C physical port will also have a corresponding USB2 virtual port, which can be used via a Type-C to Type-A adapter or through a Type-C Hub. They will have the same number of USB2 ports as they have physical ports, i.e. 1 x USB2 for Type-c+sw and 2 x USB2 for Type-c. The USB2 virtual ports should be set with a connector type that matches the physical side of the port it is served from. Most people don’t activate the USB2 ports, as they aren’t used that often, if they are used at all.

Hope this helps in your understanding of the setup for the ports on your motherboard.

Brilliant, thanks so much - will absorb!

[edit] Have redone the USB Map, all ports now set to type 3 except internal (type 255) and usb-c (type 10, now none-switching and just one port - it will stay plugged in the correct orientation so no need for the 2x ports)
Now I wait to see if the orig issue is fixed.. cheers :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-11 at 13.46.46.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-11 at 13.46.46.png
    167.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back