MSI Z370i Pro Gaming Carbon AC
CPU
i3-8100
Graphics
RX 460
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone!
I have noticed that every build from the "Buyer's Guide" every month that the recommended graphics card is the GTX 950. Is this a 100% OOB card, meaning just plug and forget and doesn't need any alterations like installing Nvdia alternate drivers?

At the moment it's very hard to find a new 100% OOB GPU. As explained in the Buyers Guide, all Maxwell-based GPUs (-> GTX 750, GTX 9xx) require the Nvidia WebDrivers, end even most GT 740 models currently sold require them.

The latest 100% OOB options are used Kepler-based GPUs,e.g. GTX 660. 670, 680, 760, 770, 780.

Hi everyone!
I have noticed that every build from the "Buyer's Guide" every month that the recommended graphics card is the GTX 950. Is this a 100% OOB card, meaning just plug and forget and doesn't need any alterations like installing Nvdia alternate drivers?
R9 280X on the AMD side or GTX740 or the Maxwell 600 series of GTX cards on the nVidia side.
Depends on how powerful a card you need. Then there is the 10 year old technology 8800GS/GT that is still supported or the ATI 4850

I would like to buy a graphics card that would survive updates from Apple. I'm building a computer for my brother who is non-techie at all so I'm researching about what graphics to buy because we are miles away from each other and I won't be having time to visit and fix every issues after updates.

This build will surely be MacOS Sierra as it's coming next month. I have purchased most parts and I am just really looking for an 100% OOB card.

See post #2

The best out of the box support comes from cards from this buyers guide:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/building-a-customac-buyers-guide-august-2013.106788/#gfx_cards

After this point, newer card technology required some additional steps to get working. In the case of nVidia additional driver support is also limited to each incremental upgrade.

There may be improved AMD support coming towards the end of the year as some of the revised model new Macs are reportably using newer AMD GPU technology. We may not see this happen until October/November though. The R9 280X is a worthy consideration.

What level of card are you looking for and what games/resolution apps does this card need to work at? The following link is a handy reference for GPU technology:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/b...-2016-hierarchy-chart-by-toms-hardware.81325/

It will just be for daily browsing, movies and school staffs. Though of course I would like to pack a more powerful card for some games. He's been talking about Dota 2 lately. (Yeah I know, its an old game but its like super new to him haha)

It will just be for daily browsing, movies and school staffs. Though of course I would like to pack a more powerful card for some games. He's been talking about Dota 2 lately. (Yeah I know, its an old game but its like super new to him haha)

The onboard graphics would probably be just fine for all of these requirements. Dota 2 is one of the most played games on Steam by a long way. The system requirements are very low and probably help with the games mass appeal.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/570/

If you would like to build in some additional graphics capability then look at GTX660, GTX670 as being inexpensive options. The nVidia GTX760 & GTX770 as well as the AMD R9 280X may be available at similar price. I use an older GTX 670 in one of my builds and it works fine for many more graphicly demanding games at 1080P resolution. It is getting overtaken by the newer GTX970 for the newest blockbuster titles at the higher framerates but this isn't an issue for games like Dota 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back