Contribute
Register

15" Macbook pro alternates - XPS 15 vs. ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Supermicro X9DAI
CPU
E5-2670 (dual)
Graphics
Quadro 4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Sure, the new 15" Macbook pro is pretty ... pretty expensive and pretty reliant on dongles that is. Scanning around the Sierra and El Capitain forums, it seems the Dell XPS 15 9550 is a clear contender for a very Macbook Pro like machine (UHD display, lightweight, powerful) that hackintoshes well. Any other machines to consider?

Sure, the new 15" Macbook pro is pretty ... pretty expensive and pretty reliant on dongles that is. Scanning around the Sierra and El Capitain forums, it seems the Dell XPS 15 9550 is a clear contender for a very Macbook Pro like machine (UHD display, lightweight, powerful) that hackintoshes well. Any other machines to consider?

Main thing is to look for a well written guide that is complete.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Yea, been there RehabMan (and while I have you - THANKS for all you've done). That's where I came up with the XPS 15. Many in there are not very MBP-like and/or older/not readily available. The Spectre x360 has a nice guide. I honestly can't tell on some of the HPs, given the 465 pages of content!

Yea, been there RehabMan (and while I have you - THANKS for all you've done). That's where I came up with the XPS 15. Many in there are not very MBP-like and/or older/not readily available. The Spectre x360 has a nice guide. I honestly can't tell on some of the HPs, given the 465 pages of content!

A well written guide has all the information in post #1. Even in such a guide, people will do things incorrectly and ask for help.

But a guide that is clearly incomplete or a work in progress should probably be avoided.

I love my Dell E7450, even LTE works. To me exactly what I was looking for.

I also have two ProBooks 650 G1, i7 and an i5, they are the working horses. Wonderful but you don't wan to carry those around. The opposite of sexy. But they deliver with their massive docks. The T440p is also here, also great but not really fancy neither. Meh.

I love my Dell E7450, even LTE works. To me exactly what I was looking for.

I also have two ProBooks 650 G1, i7 and an i5, they are the working horses. Wonderful but you don't wan to carry those around. The opposite of sexy. But they deliver with their massive docks. The T440p is also here, also great but not really fancy neither. Meh.
Dell E7450? Do you encounter any problems on your daily use? Is everything supported? Wifi, docking? Graphics? And how is the performance compared to the hp hacks you got?

I replaced the WiFi of course and added the HP LT4112 LTE module. Yes, all the things I care about work. Fingerprint and Smartcard reader are not working but I don't need those anyway. To me it is the best of my hacks. Nice display, easy to carry, backlit keyboard. The performance is great, its an i7 and very quiet too.

Dell E7450? Do you encounter any problems on your daily use? Is everything supported? Wifi, docking? Graphics? And how is the performance compared to the hp hacks you got?

I replaced the WiFi of course and added the HP LT4112 LTE module. Yes, all the things I care about work. Fingerprint and Smartcard reader are not working but I don't need those anyway. To me it is the best of my hacks. Nice display, easy to carry, backlit keyboard. The performance is great, its an i7 and very quiet too.
Atleast I am getting some positive review about a hackintosh,
Does docking work?
Any freeze ups? I don't care about the internet as I want a hackbook for my studio projects mostly Logic Pro x with external 2 HDD for lots of plugins and some basic video editing for YouTube,
What is your bench marks on geekbench bro? 1080p screen? At 14" is everything clear and crisp? Performance wise would you compare it to any mac?

I don't have a dock. No freezes. Performance is great. I only have a MBP i5 and the Dell is far better, lighter. It became my main computer.

The XPS 15 is a nice choice! I haven't tried Hackintosh on mine yet, but I would like to someday just to see it on the UHD screen.

Another thing I'd like to mention is that, while it hasn't come up in this thread, sometimes people compare the XPS 15 to the ASUS Zenbook Pro UX501VW. Avoid falling into that trap. An important thing to know about the ASUS Zenbook Pro UX501VW is that its "UHD" display uses the RG/BW Pentile matrix to cheat the ability to advertise the 4K UHD 3840x2160 resolution, without actually providing the full detail of the resolution. It's actually a much worse display than either the XPS 15 UHD or the Macbook Pro Retina.

I would recommend putting the entire ASUS Zenbook Pro product line on a blacklist until ASUS releases a new model and it can be confirmed that they have stopped doing this in the new one.

large

large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back