Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The new Apple Pencil is the Pencil (USB-C) model and due to appear in a couple of weeks or so for a lower price of £/$79.

Anyone using a previous model?

I bought a 1st Gen for my old iPad and didn't like the overlong size and heavy weight. Using it on a surface that is basically hard and unforgiving was just no fun for me. Neither was the Lightning connector needed to charge and pair.

Then I swapped to a 6th Gen iPad Mini but that needs the 2nd Gen Apple Pencil. I didn't buy one, once bitten - twice shy, but I did sell my 1st Gen.

The new 3rd Gen is actually only for the iPads which feature a USB-C port (like mine). It's quite a bit cheaper and it's quite a bit shorter. Thankfully:

1st = 175mm
2nd = 166mm
3rd = 155mm

It's getting to be more like a real pencil or pen in size. If they make the tips more forgiving it might just be more pleasant to use.

For me, well after selling the 1st Gen one I thought I'd try one of those really cheap models that floods the listings on an Amazon Sale Day. I have to say the one I got is very well made, works as well as the real thing, with no need to pair, and a battery that still hasn't gone flat since I bought it. It came with several replacement tips and even a cloth slipcase to carry it in. I know it has limitations such as pressure sensitivity but I'm not one for risking breaking my iPad screen. No Sir. It also attaches magnetically to the side of my iPad. The only negative being the charging socket's protective rubber cap which stops it sitting flush against the body.

:)

I have a iPad Pro M1 what ever Gen that is and a 2nd Gen Pencil while at first it was hard to work with after a bit of using it you adjust. I think of it similar to changing from a standard keyboard to an ergonomic keyboard. As for charging It has a magnet that makes it stick to the side and it keeps the pencil charged... no rubber cap!

As for the tips they are super cheap I kill one about every 6 months more because I drop the pencil.

Back