Contribute
Register

Apple Releases iMacs with Skylake CPUs, Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Trackpad 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
imac 21.5 use mobile and desktop broadwell
broadwell-u
gpu is intel hd graphics 6000
core i5 5250u 1.6-2.7

broadwell-r (bga) *not broadwell-c(lga)
gpu is intel iris pro graphics 6200
core i5 5575r 2.8-3.3

imac 21.5 4k use desktop broadwell
broadwell-r (bga) *not broadwell-c(lga)
gpu is intel iris pro graphics 6200
core i5 5675r 3.1-3.6
core i7 5775r 3.3-3.8

5,400 RPM isn't out of date in any means. It's just more energy efficient and quieter. That's why Apple uses them.

And it costs much less too. If they really wanted better efficiency and a quieter drive as the only two
criteria then they would have just put in a pure flash SSD drive in these. The reasoning behind using
the 5400 rpm drive is that those buying the low end iMacs for $1099 are not power users but are just surfing the net and watching youtube videos etc. In this situation the 5400 laptop drive is good enough. They want the buyer to pay up for the upgrade to a 1-2TB Fusion drive or 256GB SSD and it's
not cheap to go with their SSD upgrade.

That's why you can't just open one of these up and pop in a 500 GB Samsung 850 Evo, it would really cut into the profit margins on these. Apple charges 200 dollars for the 256 Gig SSD upgrade when you
can often find the 500 GB Evo for around 150 dollars on sale. The 250 GB Evo goes for around 80 USD.

5,400 RPM isn't out of date in any means. It's just more energy efficient and quieter. That's why Apple uses them.

Know what's even more energy efficient and quieter? SSDs.

Apple used them to save a penny, same reason there are still 16GB iPhones.

Immediately ordered the new trackpad. Mine has been fantastic and after years of use I actually need a new one. Great timing.

Excited to get a new build going next year, so by that time hopefully the bugs will be ironed out.

Apparently , Someone is successfully running OS X El Capitan 10.10.1 Beta 3 on his i7 6700k. Im going to try his method on my 6600K.

Ill be purchasing a Apple Magic Mouse 2 next week :thumbup:

Apparently , Someone is successfully running OS X El Capitan 10.10.1 Beta 3 on his i7 6700k.
Do you know his build ? (Motherboard, Ram)
I'd like to build my first Hackintosh and i'm waiting for the 6700k compatibility !
Thank you ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back