Contribute
Register

Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your adapter won't work with any kind of Thunderbolt hardware (like your Apogee Symphony) if the system you are connecting it to does not have Thunderbolt hardware. It should work with your 2 older systems (which have Thunderbolt) though. Clear now?

Use your adapter only with systems that support Thunderbolt. It is useless elsewhere.
OMG.... Sorry, no offense... leave it alone... thanks for your time though.
Best.

Last edited:
I'm not asking about my current system...
I was just asking if the USB C to TH2 would work.. that was it... Thanks for your reply.

USB - C is a plug type it could be Thunderbolt, it could be USB 2.0, 3.0, 3.1 it could be charging for Nintendo switch cord.

Sure you could have a USB C to Thunderbolt 2 though I do not know if there is an adaptor for such. Your question is very broad in that it could be very device specific. Like I would guess that a Thunderbolt 2 will not support a USB 3.1 Device with USB C plug Adapted to TB2 or maybe it will slow the device down.

Take for example my system because I do not have the USB 2.0 header on my TB3 card plugged into my mother board so my USB C ports/Thunderbolt 3 do not support USB 2.0. There are lots of logistics to take into account. It is not going to be a one size fits all answer.

What exactly are you trying to plug into the Thunderbolt 2 plug

Last edited:
I'm not asking about my current system...
I was just asking if the USB C to TH2 would work.. that was it... Thanks for your reply.
This is NOT USB-C to TH2 adapter. This is TB3-to-TB2 adapter. It won't work with USB-C.

USB - C is a plug type it could be Thunderbolt, it could be USB 2.0, 3.0, 3.1 it could be charging for Nintendo switch cord.

Sure you could have a USB C to Thunderbolt 2 though I do not know if there is an adaptor for such. Your question is very broad in that it could be very device specific. Like I would guess that a Thunderbolt 2 will not support a USB 3.1 Device with USB C plug Adapted to TB2 or maybe it will slow the device down.

Take for example my system because I do not have the USB 2.0 header on my TB3 card plugged into my mother board so my USB C ports/Thunderbolt 3 do not support USB 2.0. There are lots of logistics to take into account. It is not going to be a one size fits all answer.

What exactly are you trying to plug into the Thunderbolt 2 plug

USB C is a protocol, not just a connector. You can use the same conector in USB C standard or TH3, for sure. BUT, I'm clearly talking about a USB C to TH2 Adapter made by Apple, so, indeed, there's such a thing...
Best.

USB C is a protocol, not just a connector. You can use the same conector in USB C standard or TH3, for sure. BUT, I'm clearly talking about a USB C to TH2 Adapter made by Apple, so, indeed, there's such a thing...
Best.
It took you two months to respond and you make a post full incorrect information to tell me I am wrong. Do your homework:

USB-C is a port type not a protocol, just like USB-A, USB-Mini, USB Micro, are all port types. USB protocols are USB 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 4.0. Also there is not a USB-C to TB2 adaptor made by apple there is a TB3 to TB2 adaptor that uses a USB-C plug type.

You can find all the adapters apple makes here:

I have a TB2 drive that I use a TB3-->T2 adapter (Apple's version) and it works great as long as it is plugged into a TB3 port. If I plug that same drive in with that same adapter into USB 3.1 (USB-C) plug type it does not work. That is because even old Thunderbolt devices require the thunderbolt protocol. Some Thunderbolt devices/Hubs have an alternate mode that supports USB 3.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back