Contribute
Register

Apple wireless keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
i use the Genius SlimStar i8150. Works flawlessly in bios and OS X. It has a very tiny reciever. Half an inch long. And it kinda looks like the apple keybord.

Yeah, its model ACB74AU. Its a bluetooth 2.0 model and it works perfectly in bios.

I have a targus USB dongle too, anything i can make to work on bios? Any bios change or stuff?

I have a targus USB dongle too, anything i can make to work on bios? Any bios change or stuff?

I believe that support for HID Proxy mode is needed in the firmware of the BT adapter. I'm not sure if any BIOS changes can make it work without it.

I believe that support for HID Proxy mode is needed in the firmware of the BT adapter. I'm not sure if any BIOS changes can make it work without it.

Yes, it's all up to the adapter. BIOS can do nothing about it. HID Proxy basically emulates a regular keyboard before the adapter is initialized by the OS.

Yes, it's all up to the adapter. BIOS can do nothing about it. HID Proxy basically emulates a regular keyboard before the adapter is initialized by the OS.
I have three Apple bluetooth usb modules customised into usb dongles.
They all work great....once OS X are booted.

On my Dell Inspiron 530 running 10.6.8 with Dell Bios A18, the Apple wireless keyboard works 100% in the BIOS.
However.. the same dongle & keyboard do not always work on my latest hack based on the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 (BIOS 12e) - especially from cold boot. Sometimes it does not work in the bios after a restart.

Conclusion for me: It's BIOS related to some extent. That is, it depends on how the BIOS interprets HID implementation on the bluetooth module.

It appears that gigabyte implementation is not that good. E.g., even the non-bluetooth RF USB nano receiver that came with my Rapoo wireless keyboard and mouse that does not work well with the mouse. The UEFI Bios does not scroll the mouse horizontally ..only vertically. If I plug in a wired mouse, all is fine. The same nano receiver works fine in other systems.
So to me it's BIOS related.

I can't get it to work with my IOGEAR.

Any progress in general?

I'm pretty desperate because I have my one tower setup with two different rooms(monitor/tv in one, projector in the other), so I might go for the extra numberpad like people were suggesting. I can hide it under my desk or something and just flip it when I need to.

Hoping for more functionality though.

I have the original Apple Bluetooth module taken from an MBP. The Apple Wireless Keyboard works fine on boot menu, works alright before Yosemite starts.

The big question is : How can I access the BIOS since the keyboard doesn't have the del key ?

I've tried Fn + Backspace , Fn + Eject ... nothing works. Is there any other combination ?

The ability to use an Apple keyboard to enter the BIOS is a hardware limitation from what I know. The "Delete" button on the Apple keyboard is actually "Backspace" to the BIOS. There is no physical key that you can hit to activate the BIOS configuration screens.

I've been struggling with the Apple Wireless Keyboard for years. If it ever dies on me I'll be buying a Logitec as a replacement. I've tried multiple different BT adapters (including ones salvaged from old macs) and they always have random issues with the keyboard not being available at the login screen. Seems they kick in after a minute or two, but it stil happens from time to time.

Should Asus BT400 also works with bios and bootloader?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back