Contribute
Register

Are there any MoBos that don't run into audio or sleep issues out of the box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
GTX 950
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey everyone!

I am in the process of researching the components i'll be using for my first pc/hackintosh build. So I am new to the hole building computers thing. I have been doing some research and poking around the forums, and it seems like quite a few mobos have issues with audio and going into sleep mode. I was wondering if there are any specific mobos that typically don't run into these issues when you go to install OSX. Specifically, I am looking for mATX boards.

Thanks for the help,
Jick

I've had very good luck with the Asus Maximus VIII Gene.

From what you can read at the forums, the GPU is also a key factor for sleep to work. For example, at this time there're problems with the HD530 Intel integrated graphics.

I've had very good luck with the Asus Maximus VIII Gene.

Thanks for the recommendation. I came across your build and Stocks build using this board. Great write ups!

From what you can read at the forums, the GPU is also a key factor for sleep to work. For example, at this time there're problems with the HD530 Intel integrated graphics.

I plan on running a GPU for sure. A GTX 950 at minimum. Does this effectively eliminate the sleep/wake up issues?

Thanks for the recommendation. I came across your build and Stocks build using this board. Great write ups!

I plan on running a GPU for sure. A GTX 950 at minimum. Does this effectively eliminate the sleep/wake up issues?

Thank you for the compliment. :thumbup:

Yes, by using a video card, you shouldn't have any problems with sleep. However, xelanaizac stated that he has sleep working with the Intel 530 graphics. I have not been able to test or confirm. I am currently on day 4 of trying to get my system uptime to 30 days. You can see his post here.

Who bothers with Sleep? I don't. I don't leave my PC powered on all the time. Sleep and Hibernation are two functions I expect only on Laptops. I always turn off my PC after using. I've repaired many desktops that were always left on - their capacitors usually "pop-corn" and leak (same for the PSU). It's especially dangerous now as we are in our Monsoon season, where we get electrical storms all the time, which could cause power outages and brownouts. And leaving the PC powered on during the Summer is also asking for trouble because on really hot days transformers can blow out, or there is so much power demand for air conditioning that we can get blackouts and brown outs.

Now, if you're setting up an appliance, say a Media Server (HTPC) or a NAS, then those may be left on all the time. But I don't like giving Crackers (not Hackers) the chance to compromise my network nor computer.

I've been leaving my systems on 24/7 and utilizing sleep during periods of inactivity for well over a decade. I think I once had my old PowerMac G4 MDD's uptime go to 1 year. Sleep is a very important function for me.

I use APC UPSes for all my computer equipment now. During Hurricane Sandy, I lost a 4 bay eSATA drive enclosure because it wasn't connected to a UPS. Everything that was connected to UPSes survived fine.

The only time I can remember suffering from blown capacitors is with the 1st generation AirPort Base Station. Lack of airflow caused a lot of heat in those things and resulted in blown caps. I replaced the caps with higher rated ones and they continued to work fine for years.

I use audio over Displayport so I don't know about audio issues. However I have had no sleep issues on my Asus Z170 Pro gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back