Contribute
Register

ASUS Notebook Model Number ATHEROS/AR5B125 Model X555L

Fifteen pages in and I'm loosing track, sorry. So to resume the Atheros wireless issue ...

I take it you downloaded the modified IO80211Family.kext from the link you mentioned you'd checked?
What this does is take the Mojave Atheros drivers and add them to Catalina.

The actual kext with support which Apple dropped is called: AirPortAtheros40.kext

You can actually take this from a Mojave installation and add it manually yourself to System/Library/Extensions.

I have not tried this myself, so you should make any backup you can to preserve your data.

:)

Fifteen pages in and I'm loosing track, sorry. So to resume the Atheros wireless issue ...

I take it you downloaded the modified IO80211Family.kext from the link you mentioned you'd checked?
What this does is take the Mojave Atheros drivers and add them to Catalina.

The actual kext with support which Apple dropped is called: AirPortAtheros40.kext

You can actually take this from a Mojave installation and add it manually yourself to System/Library/Extensions.

I have not tried this myself, so you should make any backup you can to preserve your data.

1. You're okay for loosing track. It's alright.
2. Would the Time Machine tool work for preservation in case something goes south?

2. Would the Time Machine tool work for preservation in case something goes south?

Well it would preserve what you have now, yes.

Because you are possibly testing adding kexts into the system area - System/Library/Extensions/ - where nowadays we advise not to do, then a full backup like Time Machine could be useful.

Normal advice is for all hackintosh kexts to be put in the EFI folder - EFI/OC/Kexts - but in this case it is necessary to modify the System area to add the Atheros kext. So if anything goes seriously wrong you might be thankful for a Time Machine backup. :thumbup:

** Don't get me wrong, things may be fine, but it just pays to have a backup plan.

If you are serious about hackintoshing, it might be a good investment to buy a replacement wireless card. But that can be for the future should the need arise.

Well it would preserve what you have now, yes.

Because you are possibly testing adding kexts into the system area - System/Library/Extensions/ - where nowadays we advise not to do, then a full backup like Time Machine could be useful.

Normal advice is for all hackintosh kexts to be put in the EFI folder - EFI/OC/Kexts - but in this case it is necessary to modify the System area to add the Atheros kext. So if anything goes seriously wrong you might be thankful for a Time Machine backup. :thumbup:

** Don't get me wrong, things may be fine, but it just pays to have a backup plan.

If you are serious about hackintoshing, it might be a good investment to buy a replacement wireless card. But that can be for the future should the need arise.

Alright, so I did some scourging around on the web earlier, and found this ZIP file containing kexts that MIGHT fix my conundrum. (Read through the list of files in it on its Google Drive page.) Found it on another forum.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    1 MB · Views: 7
Alright, so I did some scourging around on the web earlier, and found this ZIP file containing kexts that MIGHT fix my conundrum. (Read through the list of files in it on its Google Drive page.) Found it on another forum.

Well I don't know the origin of those files, but the Atheros kext looks like it came from High Sierra.

Bare in mind we don't support other people's/sites work.

Well I don't know the origin of those files, but the Atheros kext looks like it came from High Sierra.

Bare in mind we don't support other people's/sites work.

So, should I try them?

So, should I try them?

Like I said we don't support other people's work. They should do that, no?

Your choice.

(My own personal choice for such an old PC as yours, would be to install an earlier version of macOS and get all hardware recognised and working - say High Sierra. But I understand you wish to install a newer version.)

Like I said we don't support other people's work. They should do that, no?

Your choice.

(My own personal choice for such an old PC as yours, would be to install an earlier version of macOS and get all hardware recognised and working - say High Sierra. But I understand you wish to install a newer version.)
I tried installing Mojave a while back, but it was automatically set to the Russian language, so I went with Catalina 10.15.7, which was automatically set to English.

And to be completely honest, I'm not going through the OpenCore process again, for the same god damn ASUS computer just to meet a Wi-Fi card's demands. I'm sticking with what I've installed on the Hackintosh I'm currently working on.

Also, with all due respect, why don't you guys support other people's work?

I tried installing Mojave a while back, but it was automatically set to the Russian language, so I went with Catalina 10.15.7, which was automatically set to English.

And to be completely honest, I'm not going through the OpenCore process again, for the same god damn ASUS computer just to meet a Wi-Fi card's demands. I'm sticking with what I've installed on the Hackintosh I'm currently working on.

Also, with all due respect, why don't you guys support other people's work?
a simple line in your config.plist would have changed the language to English:

Code:
<key>prev-lang:kbd</key>
                    <string>en:US:0</string>

a simple line in your config.plist would have changed the language to English:

Code:
<key>prev-lang:kbd</key>
                    <string>en:US:0</string>
Well, your instructions were unclear. Did I have to do it in the Installer terminal?

Back