Contribute
Register

ASUS ThunderboltEX II PCIe Expansion Card - Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!
I got myself an Asus Thunderboltex II dual and working well on my asus rog strix x99 mb. Running thunderbolt 2 devices (Apollo 8, UAD satellite, UAD Twin, 4bay RAID). However a a TB1 device is not detected (UAD Apollo silver with TB1 card).
Anyone of you have issues with backward compatibility with TB1 devices?
Im in Sierra.

Thanks
I never tried TB1 peripherals with this card but i think it should not be problems to use them.

Hi everyone!
I got myself an Asus Thunderboltex II dual and working well on my asus rog strix x99 mb. Running thunderbolt 2 devices (Apollo 8, UAD satellite, UAD Twin, 4bay RAID). However a a TB1 device is not detected (UAD Apollo silver with TB1 card).
Anyone of you have issues with backward compatibility with TB1 devices?
Im in Sierra.

I don't have any Thunderbolt 1 devices. I suppose the cheapest ones to try would be the Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet or FireWire adapters.

My motherboard's thunderbolt goes up to 10 gb/s. It doesn't max out at 20. Will the apollo twin sill work under these thunderbolt hosting specs? My apple thunderbolt to firewire 800 adapter works just fine. But the thunderbolt bus speed says :

Thunderbolt Bus:

Vendor Name:

Device Name: Mac Pro

UID: 0x0000000000000000

Route String: 0

Firmware Version: 21.0

Domain UUID: A8696BB7-2647-422E-BC7A-E68C89FC6C38

Port:

Link Status: 0x2

Speed: Up to 10 Gb/s x1

Current Link Width: 0x1

Receptacle: 1

Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.13.0

Port:

Link Status: 0x7

Speed: Up to 10 Gb/s x2

Current Link Width: 0x1

Receptacle: 2

Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.13.0

Thanks in advance.

My motherboard's thunderbolt goes up to 10 gb/s. It doesn't max out at 20. Will the apollo twin sill work under these thunderbolt hosting specs? My apple thunderbolt to firewire 800 adapter works just fine.

The hardware manuals for the Apollo Twin and Apollo Twin MkII say they can be connected to Thunderbolt 1, Thunderbolt 2, or Thunderbolt 3 (with Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter).

What's your motherboard? What Thunderbolt chip does it use?

The hardware manuals for the Apollo Twin and Apollo Twin MkII say they can be connected to Thunderbolt 1, Thunderbolt 2, or Thunderbolt 3 (with Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter).

What's your motherboard? What Thunderbolt chip does it use?
It's a falcon 1.3. The thunderbolt chipset.. I'm pretty sure it should be fine. I've seen users here who have reported builds using a z97-a. They're pretty much the same board.

Last edited:
It's a falcon 1.3. The thunderbolt chipset.. I'm pretty sure it should be fine. I've seen users here who have reported builds using a z97-a. They're pretty much the same board.
Googling "falcon 1.3 z97" is unsuccessful. Maybe post a link?

Thunderbolt chipset: yeah, it should be fine for the Apollo devices, but it sounds like you don't know if it's a Thunderbolt 1 chip or a Thunderbolt 2 chip, so I think you should find out. Use IORegistryExplorer.app, lspci, ioreg command line, Windows Device Manager, whatever, to get device ids and vendor ids (try my pcitree.sh script mentioned at #187 and the later posts). It's likely you have a Thunderbolt 2 chip, and the Apollo devices use a Thunderbolt 1 chip.

Googling "falcon 1.3 z97" is unsuccessful. Maybe post a link?

Thunderbolt chipset: yeah, it should be fine for the Apollo devices, but it sounds like you don't know if it's a Thunderbolt 1 chip or a Thunderbolt 2 chip, so I think you should find out. Use IORegistryExplorer.app, lspci, ioreg command line, Windows Device Manager, whatever, to get device ids and vendor ids (try my pcitree.sh script mentioned at #187 and the later posts). It's likely you have a Thunderbolt 2 chip, and the Apollo devices use a Thunderbolt 1 chip.

It's a thunderbolt 2. It's the thunderboltex II. It's the add-on card for the asus boards. It works perfectly. If you search the forums on this site you will see that they have reported great success... (Borat voice.. High Five)

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...hunderbolt-i7-4790k-asus-z97-a-hd4600.191021/

Last edited:
Set mine up with a Gryphon Z97 and so far working great with my Universal Audio Apollo Twin.

I had to load Windows and installed the TB driver before testing out in OS X, also had to delete all TB-related kexts prior to the Apollo connecting. However the Apple TB to FW800 adapter was able to connect prior to deleting all TB-related kexts...

So yes, very happy at this point!

Hi i would like to know how to find the thunderbolt kext in my system, asus z97 pro wifi el captain asus ex ii dual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back