Contribute
Register

Best SSD for osx86 lion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought another m4 128gb. Couldn't decide on a different SSD so I figured I could pick up the same one again and run raid 0 with them later if another SDD comes out that is more reliable and has decent read and writes. I was going to go OWC, but honestly hadn't heard much about them as a company. Intel is the most reliable SSD manufacturer but their read and writes are nothing phenominal along with their high prices. Anyone have any opinions on OCZ SSD's? From what I have heard they are very fast, but not very reliable. Also this is a little off topic, but does anyone know anything about Thunderbolt support coming to PC's? I am doing some tech shopping before college and considering picking up a Thunderbolt display, but wondering if there will be thunderbolt compatible gpu's in the near future. Any input would be more than welcome. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Re: Thunderbolt

Yeep

Intel will release thunderbolt for pc this year (2012)...maybe in summer

just check the web

so let's celebrate it and give thanks to our loved intel company :headbang:

jwarwick said:
Just bought another m4 128gb. Couldn't decide on a different SSD so I figured I could pick up the same one again and run raid 0 with them later if another SDD comes out that is more reliable and has decent read and writes. I was going to go OWC, but honestly hadn't heard much about them as a company. Intel is the most reliable SSD manufacturer but their read and writes are nothing phenominal along with their high prices. Anyone have any opinions on OCZ SSD's? From what I have heard they are very fast, but not very reliable. Also this is a little off topic, but does anyone know anything about Thunderbolt support coming to PC's? I am doing some tech shopping before college and considering picking up a Thunderbolt display, but wondering if there will be thunderbolt compatible gpu's in the near future. Any input would be more than welcome. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Here is a good place for reviews:

http://www.storagereview.com/best_drives

I was a reseller when OCZ first started business and they released a lot of flaky hardware back then. I'm sure they've cleaned up their business but I've never bought any OCZ products since. I own and use the Sandisk Extreme and it's my current favorite. It typically tests out as one of the fastest drives currently available and it's cheaper than a lot of other brands as well.

Generally speaking, I think it's best to get drives from companies that make their own memory (crucial, sandisk, samsung). That way, they're able to select the cream of the crop memory chips for their high end ssd's.

i personally had nothing but problems with the curcial m4 in my macbook pro, almost as if it wasn't compatible. It really took me 6,5 hours to install lion on the m4, normally lion installs are a 10 minute thing for me.

I have the latest 15" core i7 2,2Ghz MBP. I now use the OCZ vertex 3 MAX IOPS without any problems, fast as lightning! Lot faster write speeds than 830, m4 or any other ssd. But in my new hackintosh system i'm gunning for an intel 520 120gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back