Contribute
Register

Build Log: Asus P8Z68-V PRO, i5 2500K, Sapphire HD 5770

Status
Not open for further replies.
ImTheSaSQuatch said:
HoochShepherd said:
ImTheSaSQuatch said:
I got the Graphics semi working (It recognizes 1 GB VRAM and allows me to set resolution [1920x1080])

I have installed all the KEXTs under Audio (Not the Voodoo ones, they made my build KP last time).

It boots fine. I can quad boot (Windows 7/8, Ubuntu and Lion) but Audio still doesn't work.

It just doesn't show any devices under Sound Options.

Ninja Edit:

I am running Mac OS x 10.7.2.

Sound worked fine on 10.6.8, doesn't work on 10.7.2

Did you do the apple rollback?
As far as the other stuff, have you had luck yet? If not I can re-walk my process and tell ya if needed.

I'm assuming you mean during MultiBeast? If so, I've run it several times. I've even dropped it into the Kext Utility.

My 560 Shows the resolutions fine, shows up as 1GB Video Card (unknown). But seems to work, because the GeekBench scores are fairly high.

And, like I said, the Audio worked fine on 10.6.8, however, on 10.7.2 it does not. :banghead:

I'm really really hoping you can help.

:beachball:

SaSQuatCh

Quick Ninja Edit:

You have a really sweet rig :)

Ok, before doing anything do you have a working clone? In case you get jacked along the way so you don't have to do the whole thing again? If not I'd just make one with the absolute minimum you know works and you need to boot.

As far as sound.
X-System Utilities
X-ALCxxHDA
X-AppleHDA rollback
X-Realtek ALC892

As long as all those are check, your on board sound should work. I have 5.1, and always assumed my center was working... But I'll tripple check that when I get back. I believe when I went from SL to Lion it did do something funny in my sound settings that I needed to specify what output to use if I remember correctly. Unibeasting it I think it just came right back on. If doing that doesn't work for you I'll do a fresh install as soon as I get back on monday and triple check that I didn't have any other wierd issues.

As far as sound.
X-System Utilities
X-ALCxxHDA
X-AppleHDA rollback
X-Realtek ALC892

I've got all those. I think I accidentally installed ALL the Audio Kexts when I did my fresh install.

I may wipe and restart tonight. I more than likely will as I've got all my games, files, and extra kexts stored on another drive.

I'll let you know how it went today around 4:30 pm Eastern.

Betelgeuse said:
From reading this board, I would have expected that I might have a few minor difficulties installing Mac OSX on my new Hackintosh. I think you guys may have just been messing with me :D

It was only slightly more difficult than installing Mac OSX on supported hardware.

Here's my setup:

• Asus P8Z68-V PRO[/*:m:2s9hkk85]
  • Intel Core i5 2500K[/*:m:2s9hkk85]
  • 2 x 4 GB of GSKILL "Ripjaws" DDR3 RAM[/*:m:2s9hkk85]
  • Sapphire HD 5770[/*:m:2s9hkk85]
  • Sony Optiarc AD-7260S-0B DVD drive[/*:m:2s9hkk85]
  • Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ (1 TB)[/*:m:2s9hkk85]

Here's my procedure. It basically just follows Gordo74's excellent thread, with a few small modifications based on the specifics of my hardware.

Here are my steps:

1. Start with only 4GB of RAM installed[/*:m:2s9hkk85]
  2. Disable speed step turbo in the BIOS (no other changes made to the BIOS other than drive boot order)[/*:m:2s9hkk85]
  3. Boot from iBoot Legacy[/*:m:2s9hkk85]
  4. Put in Mac OSX CD (Wait a few seconds, press F5, select and boot from Mac OSX)[/*:m:2s9hkk85]
  5. Partition disk into two partitions
    [list:2s9hkk85]
  6. 900 GB Mac OSX Journaled[/*:m:2s9hkk85]
  7. 100 GB MS-DOS (for a planned Win7 install later)[/*:m:2s9hkk85]
[/*:m:2s9hkk85]
[*]Install with minimal options (to save on install time if things don't work, I omitted X11 and some other things)[/*:m:2s9hkk85]
[*]Reboot w/ iBoot Legacy[/*:m:2s9hkk85]
[*]Install 10.6.7 Combo Update (don't restart)[/*:m:2s9hkk85]
[*]Install Bridge Helper (don't restart)[/*:m:2s9hkk85]
[*]Install Multibeast options highlighted in Gordo's post with a couple modifications:
  • Use Easybeast instead of a custom DSDT.[/*:m:2s9hkk85]
  • Choose hnak's AppleIntelE1000e Ethernet instead of the one Gordo74 has selected[/*:m:2s9hkk85]
[/*:m:2s9hkk85]
[*]Shut down[/*:m:2s9hkk85]
[*]Install other 4 GB of ram (8 GB total)[/*:m:2s9hkk85]
[*]Close up case[/*:m:2s9hkk85]
[*]Reboot and reenable speed step turbo[/*:m:2s9hkk85]
[*]Install other stuff (X11, XCode, etc.)[/*:m:2s9hkk85][/list:eek::2s9hkk85]

I should note that, this entire time, I was using the video card (the HD 5770) rather than the integrated card (on the CPU die). My Cinebench scores are OpenGL: 36.25 and CPU: 4.6 (that seems low, right?).

Sound works. Networking works. USB3 appears to not work (as expected at this point).

I have to say; I'm quite pleased. I definitely expected more trouble getting everything working.

As you can probably tell, I'm a complete Noob here. So, while I'm hoping my guide/build log helps others, I'm also curious about further tweaking it. What other tests should I run? What things should I tweak? I'll obviously keep reading, but I just thought I'd solicit advice here, too.

Finally, I'd like to say a tremendous thanks to everyone who has contributed to this board. In particular, Gordo74's thread and the thread started by pcascio here were critical in getting things working for me.

Could you link me to Gordo74's post you are referring to?

just wanted to follow up if your completely happy with the build. No issues etc?

My Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H B3 just died with reboot loops. Absolutely sick of Gigabyte and their crap boards (had so many issues with all my previous ones) so i want to go against the grain and get an ASUS :)

On my P8Z68-V LE board I get a kernel panic when installing the 10.6.8 combo update, so I gave up on that system for now ^^

But very nice to hear that yours is almost fully working :)

The Coron said:
On my P8Z68-V LE board I get a kernel panic when installing the 10.6.8 combo update, so I gave up on that system for now ^^

But very nice to hear that yours is almost fully working :)

Thats a super easy fix man :)

Re-install, and then before running the combo update go to tonymac and download and run "Update Helper"... THEN run combo-update 10.6.8

Hope that helped.

Francis said:
alf_mac said:
What about USB3
how are we going to get that to work
Alf

I (with the aid of Scatman) solved my HD5770 framebuffer problem, USB3 is next on the TODO list. :cool:

The key is seen but cannot be mounted.

1b21:1042 is the correct vendor:device id for ASMedia USB3 chip, so the chip is clearly identified as USB3 capable by the driver.
You see that the USB3 bus is seen as bus 0x00 even if we got an error about that during kext loading.

Perhaps if we could make it load as another bus, it would work?
I have the feeling it should not be really difficult.

How is going for this issue? Thanks.

cavendishqi said:
Francis said:
alf_mac said:
What about USB3
how are we going to get that to work
Alf

I (with the aid of Scatman) solved my HD5770 framebuffer problem, USB3 is next on the TODO list. :cool:

The key is seen but cannot be mounted.

1b21:1042 is the correct vendor:device id for ASMedia USB3 chip, so the chip is clearly identified as USB3 capable by the driver.
You see that the USB3 bus is seen as bus 0x00 even if we got an error about that during kext loading.

Perhaps if we could make it load as another bus, it would work?
I have the feeling it should not be really difficult.

How is going for this issue? Thanks.
For USB3 you just need to get the firmware update from Asus. As soon as I updated my firmware with it I was golden.

HoochShepherd said:
For USB3 you just need to get the firmware update from Asus. As soon as I updated my firmware with it I was golden.

Will try it. thanks.

BTW, how about the dsdt files before and after this bios update? is there much difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back