Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide November 2013

can i use GA-H87M-D3H motherboard?

I just built a Hackintosh (my first) with this very same board 2 weeks ago and it works FLAWLESSLY. I installed Mavericks and I had absolutely no issues. I'm using a GT640 video card and 3 monitors

EDIT: Sorry, I used the GA-H87-D3H...I missed the extra "M" in your model

Not a major issue but the overall description for the GTX650 says it has 2GB of memory, but four of the five Amazon links go to 1GB versions.

Thanks SquishyTia and MacAndor-

We've just made some changes- both swapping around different models that are known to work without issue, and adding a warning note for OpenCL issues. If the issues aren't resolved we may be forced to remove them from the list altogether.

I suspect that the 780 cards are all going to move to the GK110B GPU/BIOS in short order. I'm not sure if it was an errata fix or a newer binning process optimized for overclockability, but even the cards listed here are starting to crop up with GK110B GPUs in them in newer stock.

What this means is that ultimately you may simply have to remove anything above the GFX 770 as a compatible card, at least until the problems with OpenCL are rectified in drivers.

If I want to dual-boot Windows and OSX, is Windows 7 compatible, or only Windows 8?

Windows 7 works alongside OS X. I suggest having each on their own drive. You will need to disable ALL other drives in the BIOS except the one you're installing Windows 7 to though, or else you'll get "cannot access resource" errors. You can also temporarily unplug the other drives to accomplish the same thing, though the BIOS method is preferred if you have wires routed just right in your case and don't want to rewire them again (or can't easily get to them).

I want to ask 3 questions
The first one: Will the GeForce GTX 690 work?
The second one: Will sli work?
The third one: Will quadro cards work?

1) Possibly, but only the first (primary) GPU will be recongized.

2) No. SLI is not implemented in OS X. It is implemented in Windows and Linux only.

3) Only the Quadro cards that are direct equivalants to the Mac Edition versions are likely to work properly. Nothing above the K5000 will work in OS X yet because they are using the GK180GL GPU, and Mavericks tops out at GK104/110(A).

Unless you intend to do workstation spescific work, stick with a GeForce 770 or below. The 780 series and now the Titan are starting to see GK110B GPUs show up in the mix, and OS X's drivers crash whenever OpenCL is referenced on these GPUs. No ETA on a fix for that.

I suspect that the 780 cards are all going to move to the GK110B GPU/BIOS in short order. I'm not sure if it was an errata fix or a newer binning process optimized for overclockability, but even the cards listed here are starting to crop up with GK110B GPUs in them in newer stock.

What this means is that ultimately you may simply have to remove anything above the GFX 770 as a compatible card, at least until the problems with OpenCL are rectified in drivers.

Windows 7 works alongside OS X. I suggest having each on their own drive. You will need to disable ALL other drives in the BIOS except the one you're installing Windows 7 to though, or else you'll get "cannot access resource" errors. You can also temporarily unplug the other drives to accomplish the same thing, though the BIOS method is preferred if you have wires routed just right in your case and don't want to rewire them again (or can't easily get to them).

1) Possibly, but only the first (primary) GPU will be recongized.

2) No. SLI is not implemented in OS X. It is implemented in Windows and Linux only.

3) Only the Quadro cards that are direct equivalants to the Mac Edition versions are likely to work properly. Nothing above the K5000 will work in OS X yet because they are using the GK180GL GPU, and Mavericks tops out at GK104/110(A).

Unless you intend to do workstation spescific work, stick with a GeForce 770 or below. The 780 series and now the Titan are starting to see GK110B GPUs show up in the mix, and OS X's drivers crash whenever OpenCL is referenced on these GPUs. No ETA on a fix for that.

Actually both GPUs on the 690 will be detected just fine and OpenCL/CUDA will use em both fine too. Just no SLi for OpenGL.

In fact, SquishyTia, couldn't Tony really include the Asus R9-280X, since it has at least one report to be working fully and out of the box (#56), is cheaper than the GTX 770 and performs 780ish level? Besides, it would beat hands down any nVidia card in OpenCL applications, just as any AMD card (and don't forget Apple is going OpenCL).

In fact, SquishyTia, couldn't Tony really include the Asus R9-280X, since it has at least one report to be working fully and out of the box (#56), is cheaper than the GTX 770 and performs 780ish level? Besides, it would beat hands down any nVidia card in OpenCL applications, just as any AMD card (and don't forget Apple is going OpenCL).

If no modifications are required for out of the box functionality (including boot screen for verbose mode), then yes, that could be added to the buyer's guide. As for the R9 280X running at 780ish levels, only one does so far: the Sapphire Toxic Edition. It edges out the stock 780 in some tests and is barely behind it in other tests. It won't win against factory OC'd 780s though, and you pay a very high price for that performance in terms of energy use and noise level.

Actually both GPUs on the 690 will be detected just fine and OpenCL/CUDA will use em both fine too. Just no SLi for OpenGL.

Interesting. That would make it really the top contender if you have any OpenCL or CUDA workflows. The second GPU would only be used for OpenCL/CUDA though, meaning most of the time your card is seeing less than half of its usefulness realized in OS X, so it's a tradeoff that one has to be willing to make for the top of the line card on the Windows side. For OpenGL, a 780 will beat it, so the 690 remains a niche card for OS X users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back