ASUS maximus 7 HEro
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
NVIDIA
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
OK guys, i need a little help since this is the first time i am building hackintosh.
I own Macbook Pro 13 late 2011 and working alot of music so i need some power.
i was going with this configuration for now:
MBO ASUS ROG Maximus VII hero (1150)
Intel Core i7 4790K 8mb cache (1150)
Gygabite GTX 970 G1 gaming
Corsair PSU enthusiast RM650
SSD OCZ Vertex VTX 460 240
Seagate Barracuda 2tb HDD
Corsair Vengeance PC-12800 CML8GX3M1A1600C9

Probably i will choose fractal define for the case.
Will this work and will this memory be ok because in my country i can't buy crucial balistix??
Thank you very much :)

I was in a similar situation not so long ago - MacBook Pro 15" 2010.

Your build looks quite similar to mine so I guess you won't have much trouble building it. You can look it up in my profile.

MBO and CPU are top-notch and with the right cooler you have a lot of room for overclocking if that's intended too.

About the GPU - I guess it's a matter of taste which company someone prefers but I prefer the msi version because I occasionally play some games on Windows and it's a bliss that the fan only kicks in when the temperature exceeds 60 °C. Otherwise it is completely silent. I'm not sure if Gigabyte offers this feature.

About the PSU - You can't go wrong with Corsair. I chose one from be quiet! because of their Silent Wings. Those are in my opinion on par with the ones from Noctua which I use otherwise.

About the memory - I used G.Skill TridentX 16 GB DDR3-2400 because the price difference was only 10 € or so and I have no problems up to now although it isn't listed as recommended RAM. The RAM you mentioned should work flawlessly too.

About the SSD - I had some problems with OCZ in the past so I switched to Samsung which solved the problem.

About the HDD - I don't like 7200 rpms drives anymore. In my opinion the noise isn't worth the small performance gain. I would use a 5400/5900 rpm drive for cold storage if you don't have a NAS.

About the case - Fractal design makes remarkable products. Your money is spent wisely in one of there cases.

If you have further questions don't hesitate to ask me.

Why not get Broadwell? I don't understand why Tonymac is still recommending the Haswell CPUs.

Is there a working build with a 1151 Broadwell and DDR4 RAM so far? I only read about working Broadwell NUCs but nothing about desktop builds. Maybe you know more than I do.

ModBot Jr said:
Broadwell is in the Buyer's Guide

Yeah, but it still says "we recommend 4th Generation Haswell Core i desktop CPUs for 9-series motherboards," which seems out of date to me.

Is there a working build with a 1151 Broadwell and DDR4 RAM so far? I only read about working Broadwell NUCs but nothing about desktop builds. Maybe you know more than I do.

You're confusing Broadwell and Skylake.

Hey, many thanks man, well i'll get everything next week except GPU, cause i don't have money right now :D but i'll get it in a 2-3 months :D i'm glad that everything works for you fine and your answer helped me alot so thanks again :D

I was in a similar situation not so long ago - MacBook Pro 15" 2010.

Your build looks quite similar to mine so I guess you won't have much trouble building it. You can look it up in my profile.

MBO and CPU are top-notch and with the right cooler you have a lot of room for overclocking if that's intended too.

About the GPU - I guess it's a matter of taste which company someone prefers but I prefer the msi version because I occasionally play some games on Windows and it's a bliss that the fan only kicks in when the temperature exceeds 60 °C. Otherwise it is completely silent. I'm not sure if Gigabyte offers this feature.

About the PSU - You can't go wrong with Corsair. I chose one from be quiet! because of their Silent Wings. Those are in my opinion on par with the ones from Noctua which I use otherwise.

About the memory - I used G.Skill TridentX 16 GB DDR3-2400 because the price difference was only 10 € or so and I have no problems up to now although it isn't listed as recommended RAM. The RAM you mentioned should work flawlessly too.

About the SSD - I had some problems with OCZ in the past so I switched to Samsung which solved the problem.

About the HDD - I don't like 7200 rpms drives anymore. In my opinion the noise isn't worth the small performance gain. I would use a 5400/5900 rpm drive for cold storage if you don't have a NAS.

About the case - Fractal design makes remarkable products. Your money is spent wisely in one of there cases.

If you have further questions don't hesitate to ask me.

Hey man, i have put everything up, but i can't boot yosemite, everytime it returns to bios, what are your bios settings, on my mbo it is saying AE but that is code when i don't have os installed i think. What OS do you have and please can you send me some kind of tutorial? I think that i've build everything fine because when in bios i can se my settings for CPU, RAM etc... THANKS :)

Hey man, i have put everything up, but i can't boot yosemite, everytime it returns to bios, what are your bios settings, on my mbo it is saying AE but that is code when i don't have os installed i think. What OS do you have and please can you send me some kind of tutorial? I think that i've build everything fine because when in bios i can se my settings for CPU, RAM etc... THANKS :)

Hey ironguitar.

I would try to install some kind of windows distribution first. You don't have to enter a key - a test version would be fine.

So we can be absolutely sure that the error is software and not hardware. What BIOS version is on your board currently installed? It would be helpful if you download CPU-Z and post pictures of every section.

If windows runs smoothly on these components and the desired boot drive you should be good to go to wipe it again and begin setting up Mac OS.

Let me know if that went well for you so we can continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back