Contribute
Register

can i power cube's touch sensor using usb header's 5v power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
B150-HD3
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700
Graphics
MSI GTX 1060 6GB
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
hi, i'm planning to reload a g4 cube that i got from ebay.
since i have no experience in soldering, i thought using 5v from power supply would make my life a lot harder.
then, i realized that usb ports also supplies 5v, and i'm planning to use front usb header from motherboard to power touch sensor.
will i run into any problem if i do this?

hi, i'm planning to reload a g4 cube that i got from ebay.
since i have no experience in soldering, i thought using 5v from power supply would make my life a lot harder.
then, i realized that usb ports also supplies 5v, and i'm planning to use front usb header from motherboard to power touch sensor.
will i run into any problem if i do this?

Yes the USB port 5VDC can be used if the voltage is present when the system is in stand-by mode.

I suggest that you check out the touch sensor operation on the bench as some of these old devices are just not operational anymore (16 year old assembly). I recently installed one and used three AA batteries in series to test the operation of the sensor on the bench and verify the pin out needed.

Minihack's guide is the best touch sensor source document: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/cube-switch-modding.43924/

Good modding,
neil

Yes the USB port 5VDC can be used if the voltage is present when the system is in stand-by mode.

I suggest that you check out the touch sensor operation on the bench as some of these old devices are just not operational anymore (16 year old assembly). I recently installed one and used three AA batteries in series to test the operation of the sensor on the bench and verify the pin out needed.

Minihack's guide is the best touch sensor source document: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/cube-switch-modding.43924/

Good modding,
neil

hi, thank you for the reply. May I ask one more question?
there is +5v pin for cube's touch sensor, but I don't see (-) pin. So where do I connect (-) side of the AA batteries?

hi, thank you for the reply. May I ask one more question?
there is +5v pin for cube's touch sensor, but I don't see (-) pin. So where do I connect (-) side of the AA batteries?

Okay on the bench with your AA battery pack, connect the positive (+) lead to pin 1 of the touch sensor 5 pin connector, then the negative (-) lead to the one of the two touch sensor mounting screw pads. This is with the touch sensor laying on a few sheets of paper (insulator). If the sensor is good the LED will light when you bring your finger near the LED. At this point there is a electronic contact "closure" between pins 4 and 5 and goes "open" as the LED goes off.

So in your Cube, you would wire the 5 V standby power to pin 1, add a ground wire from the PSU to the touch sensor mounting screw. and bring the motherboard front panel "power on positive (+)" to pin 4 and the "power on Negative (-)" to pin 5. With the sensor mounted in the Cube top plate and the white circular pieces in place, the Touch Sensor calibrates itself when power is applied (the power is applied to the Cube PSU which is "standby" waiting for a power on signal).

If you have the original Cube cable that plugged into the touch sensor, I suggest that you cut the cable in half and connect your wires to pins 1, 4 and 5 of that cable, that is then plugged into the sensor.

Good modding,
neil

Okay on the bench with your AA battery pack, connect the positive (+) lead to pin 1 of the touch sensor 5 pin connector, then the negative (-) lead to the one of the two touch sensor mounting screw pads. This is with the touch sensor laying on a few sheets of paper (insulator). If the sensor is good the LED will light when you bring your finger near the LED. At this point there is a electronic contact "closure" between pins 4 and 5 and goes "open" as the LED goes off.

So in your Cube, you would wire the 5 V standby power to pin 1, add a ground wire from the PSU to the touch sensor mounting screw. and bring the motherboard front panel "power on positive (+)" to pin 4 and the "power on Negative (-)" to pin 5. With the sensor mounted in the Cube top plate and the white circular pieces in place, the Touch Sensor calibrates itself when power is applied (the power is applied to the Cube PSU which is "standby" waiting for a power on signal).

If you have the original Cube cable that plugged into the touch sensor, I suggest that you cut the cable in half and connect your wires to pins 1, 4 and 5 of that cable, that is then plugged into the sensor.

Good modding,
neil

looks like my sensor is broken... i'll have to buy alternative one...
anyways, thank you for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back